MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to smooth complex splines

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pearlman
How to smooth complex splines
on Mar 4, 2019 at 3:55:24 pm

It seems like there would be an easy function to smooth splines in C4D but I cannot find it. What I am looking for is something like the spline relax modifier in Max that will smooth out angular areas in splines (red dots are in image are example). I have a complex object made of many closed splines and I want to control the smoothness of the whole thing at once. Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How to smooth complex splines
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:30:38 pm

Choose your spline and either change the kind of spline it is (bezier, cubic etc), or change the Intermediate points setting or change the angle or number setting - or do all three
For adaptive, the lower the Angle setting the more "points" are put in between so the smoother the line is and the more "detail" the line can hold.
Using Uniform places each spline node equidistant from all the others and you can then jack up the Number setting to increase or decrease the overall number of nodes along the spline.

Be careful though, if you are using these splines to extrude or loft or sweep or other things in mograph, each new node on the spline can create a new isoparm along your final geometry which can increase render times - more polys to deal with. You have to find a balance.

Return to posts index

Steve Pearlman
on Mar 5, 2019 at 5:54:39 pm

Thanks for that. But am I wrong in the observation that these are all fairly subtle tweaks to the existing geometry? I can only get small changes manipulating those variables. Is there an easy way to relax things more substantially?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Mar 5, 2019 at 9:53:43 pm

Have you tried Mesh > Spline > Soft Interpolation?

Return to posts index

Steve Pearlman
on Mar 6, 2019 at 3:49:44 pm

That is great, thanks. How about a tool that isn't committed to keeping the points in the same spot, something that would basically turn a shape into a circle if you ratcheted up the parameters enough (though that is not my goal)? That is how the Relax modifier works in 3DS Max.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 6, 2019 at 4:59:57 pm

well there is the Spline Smooth tool (Mesh/Spline/Spline Smooth). That will do what you want but that is a tool rather than a deformer it has a 'brush' to smooth a spline with so it wouldn't be great for smoothing a ton of curves. There are also the Chamfer and Round tools but neither of those will take a spline to a circle. By the look of the example image though one of those tools might do what you want or you could just toss the mesh into a Subdivision Surface object after - which will smooth out the jaggies.

Return to posts index

Steve Pearlman
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:49:38 pm

Does subdivision surface work with spline based objects? It seems to work fine with cubes and other polygonal geometry but not with my splines or rectangles, n-gons, stars, etc.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:53:32 pm

no, it does not work with splines, that suggestion was based on an assumption that you would use the splines as the shape for a skin (which could be smoothed). If the splines are the shape and you are going to be rendering them in one way or the other, then only the spline tools would apply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]