MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Object with intersecting internals

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evie Bee
Object with intersecting internals
on Mar 1, 2019 at 10:57:15 pm

Hi there,

So i have an object that was create using multiple booles and multiple objects combined to create this singular object. I now want to export this model for 3D printing, but as the internals of the object has so many intersecting elements it is hard to print. Is there a way to get rid of all the internal intersections inside a singular object in cinema 4D?
https://autode.sk/2XxzbWX
Thanks ☺

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Object with intersecting internals
on Mar 2, 2019 at 5:11:11 am

With R20, Volume Builder/Volume Mesher was stated as a potential good printing choice as it will take all those meshes and combine them with a clean inside but I don't know if you will loose detail (haven't had enough experience with builder/mesher yet), there is at least one demo video which talks about that.
I haven't printed anything but I do know it's important to build it the right way from the start but since you are where you are it is possible to clean it up it's just not one step. Probably cutting with booles and then combining the bits you need with some hand work, tools like Optimize etc.

Return to posts index

Evie Bee
on Mar 2, 2019 at 11:38:27 am

Ah! Ok thank you very much for your response. I'll check out volume builder.... Though I'm starting to think that maybe C4D is not the best software for making model for 3D printing.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 2, 2019 at 3:44:28 pm

CAD programs are often used but even there you have to watch how you are building it. A buddy of mine is using solid modelers because a solid modeler doesn't make holes. Or so he says. He says Solidworks is most popular then ProE, Inventor but easiest to use is Fusion 360 for whatever that's worth.
But really anything that will export STL files is workable and, you should be able to clean your model up in C4D it will just take a bit of work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]