MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problem with displacement channel & inverse ambient occlusion

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevan Whiting
Problem with displacement channel & inverse ambient occlusion
on Mar 1, 2019 at 6:45:31 pm

I am trying to weather the edges of an object procedurally using the inverse ambient occlusion effect. It works fine with emission, alpha etc. but when I try to apply it to the displacement it doesn't do any displacement. I'm going for a rough beveled edges look like an old worn brick. Also, I'm trying to keep it completely procedural inside of C4D without using texture images. Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Problem with displacement channel & inverse ambient occlusion
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:34:50 pm

I think it might be a procedure order issue. Try putting the displacement in its own material and put that on the object first then use your ambient occlusion shader on top of that. You may have to "mix" the textures or you could use the reverse ambient occlusion "channel" as an "alpha" to map the last shader over the displacement effects.

If its the "i've been up too long and I'm sleepy" problem... is displacement turned on in the render options? I'm always turning it off to work fast and then forgetting to turn it back on.

Return to posts index

Trevan Whiting
Re: Problem with displacement channel & inverse ambient occlusion
on Mar 4, 2019 at 10:59:57 pm

Basically I'm trying to get this effect:

But I want to procedurally generate the displacement using the ambient occlusion so it works on any shape of object. When I try to mix two materials like you mentioned it only colors the displacement like this:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]