MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to create a non-standard platonic?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean bowering
How to create a non-standard platonic?
on Feb 22, 2019 at 1:43:56 pm

A client gave me this 2D pic and asked me to create a 3D model from it. I tried starting with icosahedron type sphere, but I can't get the 10 vertices/edges round the outside, it seems to default to 12. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: How to create a non-standard platonic?
on Feb 24, 2019 at 11:25:39 pm

In order for it to be spherical there needs to be more polygons. To achieve a spherical shape with polygons of approximately equal size, and an "outside" edge (or perimeter) that has 10 sides when viewed from the proper angle, create an icosahedron sphere with 11 segments, turn off "Render Perfect," and delete the phong tag. Below is an image of just such a sphere viewed from two angles. I created sweeps for all the polygon edges for better visibility, and made the one showing the perimeter slightly larger and red in color. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

sean bowering
on Feb 25, 2019 at 2:00:18 am

many thanks jim. any idea how to edit the individual vertices so it looks like the 2D artwork? how to get those wavy lines?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 25, 2019 at 2:29:09 am

Hi Sean,

I wasn't sure if you were trying to recreate the entire drawing as a 3D object or just create a sphere with the 10 edges. So are you trying to end up with what amounts to a flat panel (like the image below but with triangular segments and wavy lines), or something else... like a hemisphere with wavy pipes (a children's jungle-gym in the shape of a dome comes to mind)?

Return to posts index

sean bowering
on Feb 25, 2019 at 1:47:17 pm

the latter i'm afraid. they want a non-transparent hemisphere. i figured i could edit an existing platonic to mirror the 2D diagram i was given, but my modelling skills are basic at best. i was thinking to have it rotating and the final resting frame matches their 2D pic. what do you think? is this 10 sided polygon even mathematically possible? can you help?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 25, 2019 at 3:21:43 pm

Like you, my modeling skills are not my strong point as I mostly play around with mograph-type projects. And the mathematical possibilities of 3D objects is beyond my brain power. As my example showed, getting a spherical object with the desired 10-sided perimeter is definitely doable, but for it to be anything near symmetrical (and with equal-sized polygons) simply requires more polygons. I imagine that it is possible to recreate the drawing in C4D by connecting points but that's not something I've ever done. And turning it into a dome shape would require that the fewer polygons are highly stretched and asymmetrical. I'll keep playing around, though, and let you know if I come up with anything. Sorry that I can't be of more help, and hopefully a more experienced modeller will chime in. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:34:44 pm

not easy to get a sphere shape with that geometry division here's my try

13153_nonstandardplatonictrial.c4d.zip

and a link to the closest platonic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_dodecahedron
- has 10 sides when viewed from the front etc...

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:40:02 pm

Good work Brian. What were the steps you took to create that platonic?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 25, 2019 at 6:54:39 pm

the basics were
-working from the Top view to match the drawing
-making a 10 sided n-Side spline
-using the spline Pen tool to draw out the filling/crossing lines
-cutting the splines where necessary to have vertices for the next step
-added a polygon object, deleted the simple poly that gets created and used the Polygon Pen with vertex snapping on to make the flat version of the object
-use Move tool in points mode with Soft Selection on with Falloff set to Dome and Mode set to Center so it pulls the points up in a spherical shape

Spline.7 isn't really needed it was just an experiment, the x-ray sphere is just to try and hit a spherical shape when pulling up with the Move tool.
While a spherical shape is not reasonably possible with that construction a small lift of the center of the polygon object looks ok, depends on what Sean's clients are really after

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:08:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed steps Brian.

Return to posts index

sean bowering
on Feb 25, 2019 at 6:30:28 pm

many thanks brian! do you think it is mathematically impossible to get all facets the same triangle size?

Return to posts index

sean bowering
on Feb 25, 2019 at 6:32:20 pm

also my bad on describing the goal polygon as a hemisphere. that should be sphere.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 25, 2019 at 6:59:35 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:22:21 pm

sphere or hemisphere makes no real difference I think.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:19:23 pm

I don't think so, to get that to be spherical would involve stretching the polys to get them to match to the reference sphere in my example file.
Do the faces need to be flat? You could just project that texture (the example image, cleaned up I assume) onto a sphere

Return to posts index

sean bowering
on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:28:59 pm

that's what i figured. they want a rotating faceted sphere whose end frame matches that 2D graphic. but i guess i'm trying to achieve the un-achievable - this what happens when your clients design a 3D object in 2D and you are at the end of the food chain... retrofitting.

anyway, many thanks for your help as always brian.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]