MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Glass Material Query

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie Shack
Glass Material Query
on Feb 19, 2019 at 12:43:49 am

Hi guys,

I've tried making a glass material but when I render it has these little imperfections on the rim and flat end of the martini glass. Any advice on how to polish it perfect?

Hold the cleaning jokes ;p

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Glass Material Query
on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:03:12 am

there's so much to glass, it could be your material it could be the objects construction, it could be the renderer (which are you using?) it could be you are using AO but haven't excluded the glass (assuming scene-wide AO) we might have to see the scene file

Return to posts index

Richie Shack
on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:17:49 am

I've constructed using circle splines and the loft tool.

I'm not sure what the AO is but I assume its Ambient Occlusion? I've put a screen shot of the AO and the Global Illumination, anything stand out that doesn't look right?

Many thanks ☺

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:51:51 am

yes ambient occlusion, and you are using the scene wide AO in the Effects of the render settings. This applies AO to everything which with glass is not a good idea since the AO is darkening everything within a proscribed radius and you can see the darkening of the glass through the glass. Either put a Compositing tag on the glass and uncheck Seen by AO or turn scene wide AO off and apply AO as a shader in the Diffusion channel of the material you have on the floor. Or just turn AO off, AO is a fake of GI (global illumination) and with GI active you don't really need it (though, yes, AO with GI is sometimes needed with the standard renderer's implementation of GI (depending on settings).
All that said it still may not fix your problem (though it might) but it will make the glass look better.

Return to posts index

Richie Shack
on Feb 19, 2019 at 2:26:25 am

That's so much better thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]