MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

First attempt at matchmoving. Feedback request.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Schwartz
First attempt at matchmoving. Feedback request.
on Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49:16 pm
Last Edited By Lucas Schwartz on Feb 11, 2019 at 11:59:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone's well.

I recently began to experiment with 3D tracking in PFTrack and general matchmoving. I really enjoyed working on the 17 second project and learned a LOT about the camera, shutter speed, focal length, frame rates and the 3D tracker. Also discovered some new features in Mocha-Pro.

So, I am here to ask for some feedback regarding the completed project.
I would be very curious to hear your observations and opinions about the project and your suggestions as to what are the biggest flaws with the video and your advice on how could correct those flaws to improve my technique.

My workflow was:

If filmed the video on my trusty EOS 600D handheld with a 24mm lens attached. The footage was then tracked and resolved in PFTrack. This was the first time I used the software. I was hesitant to learn about 3d tracking with Syntheye or PFTrack. In the end I decided to use PFTrack as the user interface appeared to be more friendly and straight-forward to me. I also liked unique the nodal based interface of the tracker.

Before deciding to use a dedicated tracking software I tried to use the built in tracker in after effects but I haven't been able to get a decent-enough camera solve. The inserted 3d model was jumping all over the scene. You can see the failed unstable track here: https://peter-ryans.wistia.com/medias/4qnm090ury

So I decided to try PFTrack and after watching some tutorials and experimentation with the software I was able to get a better solve.

I then exported the solved camera into C4D, placed my model and added some lightning. I still quite uncertain how could I integrate my model into the scene to achieve better results. How could I be certain that the perspective of the object is matching the scene correctly?

Once I rendered the TIFF sequence of the model in C4D I have imported the footage into After Effects for compositing. I applied some colour grading , added in some fake shadows then rendered the final footage. Here is the link: https://peter-ryans.wistia.com/medias/junxwqqt2b

So I am looking forward reading your comments about anything you feel it would be important to improve my workflow, from camera selection to software choices and general suggestions to achieve better realism.

Have a great day all!

Best Regards,

Lucas

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: First attempt at matchmoving. Feedback request.
on Feb 12, 2019 at 8:05:11 pm

a few comments. Look at the contact shadow of the motorcycle, that's what the contact shadow of the cars wheels should be like (darker). The light in the scene is high and to the left (shadows on the trash/recycling bins and the ledge under the window) but the shadow off the car seems to be coming from a light at the position of the camera, very noticeable as the camera moves past the car the shadow moves (relative to the car) and it should not.

The back of the car looks like it's in the brick wall (or touching certainly), it should look like there is separation and given that it is close why are there no bricks reflecting in the back of the car (or the curtains)?

I definitely get the impression of a light cloud day, a lot of contact or very short shadows and mostly even lighting tha leads me to expect more cloud/sky reflection in the front window of the car but it darker than I expect. Perhaps that is a match but I thought that window was kind of dark

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
Re: First attempt at matchmoving. Feedback request.
on Feb 12, 2019 at 9:05:54 pm

Hi Brian,

Thank you for commenting. That is EXACTLY, what I am looking for. To create the shadows in the future I will be using C4D lights, rather the trying to create it during the compositing stage in AE. The window of the car definitely IS too dark. I will focus on experimenting more with surfaces and materials to achieve more realistic results.

Please keep the comments coming.

Best regards,

Lucas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]