MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

IRR and Rendering to Picture Viewer is BLACK

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake McGuire
IRR and Rendering to Picture Viewer is BLACK
on Feb 2, 2019 at 12:55:51 am

For some reason when i want to preview my render in the interactive render region or render it to the picture viewer it just renders pure blackness. I don't understand as to why this is happening as i have Global illumination enabled, with an area light and HDRI. Sorry I'm a beginner in C4D so bare with me.

Here I'll link the project file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/a4hvz9cl7z4bges/UNKNOWN_3.c4d/file

By the way i'm using R20 on OSX 10.13.6

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: IRR and Rendering to Picture Viewer is BLACK
on Feb 2, 2019 at 4:18:11 pm

the linked file has GI turned off (and no image to go with the file) and the only light is a spot light not an area light, it does render here but it takes a long while to prepare the displacement etc.

Return to posts index

Blake McGuire
on Feb 8, 2019 at 8:33:45 am

Sorry for not responding. It's been 5 days and I am still trying to render this. I have reduced as many polygons as i think is necessary, whilst still obtaining the quality to make the render seem a tad realistic.
I have been doing like 4 render attempts and all have gone above 20 hours and still the IR passes haven't finished calculating.

The reason as to why I have a only a point light is to give the illusion that the sun is casting a huge area of light, so therefore the GI brightens the rest of the scene but still makes the point light seperate a tiny bit from the rest of the scene if that makes sense.

The reason as to why all my renders haven't gone above 20 hours or so is because they automatically stop and my computer restarts automatically. My mac most likely restarts because i have reached my peak ram limit which is 8gb. I'll send a more updated version to that file I am trying to optimize. I want to make this render without any current quality loss. I am aiming for a render not exceeding the 20 hour limit.

I'll try to add more lights to the scene in replace for GI when i am not busy. Yet again i'm a beginner at c4d so i may be using bad terminology.

One more thing, Brian Jones what do you mean by and no image to go with the file? Do you mean no image to correspond with the HDRI Map?

Here is the most updated version of the render i'm trying to do: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/732f8j5n5a1v9/C4D_LONG_RENDER_THING (I think I have GI turned off at the moment just to test render time without it)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 8, 2019 at 5:13:55 pm

Yes, the missing image was the sunset image - I substituted before but it's nice to have to see what you intend.
I rendered before on my PC at home and it was starting the render without problem (with 32 GB) here at work on an old MacPro it froze it (with 12 GB) in just a few minutes.
So I started rendering parts using Render Active Objects.

First, why Physical render? Standard render (for this content) seems to be about 7 times faster.

The bubbles are fine.

Why not use an Atom Array on Simple Plexus Base rather than the bars on sphere cloner - it's not a lot faster to render but it's faster in the viewport.

LASER THINGS is a huge problem - the material uses Displacement set to Sub Poly with a Subdivision Level of 12 - check the help
"For each existing polygon, the following polygon count will be calculated internally:
Triangle: (2 to the power of Subdivision Level) * (2 to the power of Subdivision Level) / 2
Quadrangle: (2 to the power of Subdivision Level) * (2 to the power of Subdivision Level)"

- that means each poly is being divided into 16,777,216 polys - to me it looks the same at Subdivision Level of 2 as it does at 8 (I didn't want to try 12) particularly with the glow.

The water is fine

Golden Sphere - what's the Boole for? Right now the Displacer makes the sphere bigger and the cylinder is now cutting a cylinder sized hole inside but it's not visible.

with those minor changes (mostly it's the laser things and Standard) render time in the viewport is 2:40-ish here.

13094_untitled4.5.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Blake McGuire
on Feb 16, 2019 at 8:36:17 am

Sorry for always being late for a reply but i finished it. Your optimisation tips really helped. I ended up using a depth pass to get the same results as the physcial renderer in post. Love your help bro. Ill attach the final product!

13119_interdimensionalformation.png.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]