MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to extend a basic shape from one end???

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mostyn Rowley
How to extend a basic shape from one end???
on Jan 29, 2019 at 9:57:41 am

Hi,

Have seen somebody (@David Bierderbeck) post years ago on here asking about how to extend an object from one end...

i.e.
this .----------->
not < -----. ---->

Having used 3DS Max in the past, I got used to having this function & its now driving me mad...

Can anyone help? Just to clarify, I have tried selecting the modelling axis whilst a cube is selected but it is greyed out, I've also tried to move the axis but am unable to unless the shape is made editable..

Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: How to extend a basic shape from one end???
on Jan 29, 2019 at 3:55:29 pm

never done Max but I think I've seen that... there may be better suggestions but the Correction deformer allows you to deal with a parametric object like it was editable. You select the correction deformer not the object and work in poly/edge/point mode. It will complete break things like the Fillet in a parametric cube though, so for that you would leave Fillet at 0 and use a Bevel deformer with the Correction...

Return to posts index

Mostyn Rowley
on Jan 29, 2019 at 4:36:30 pm

Ah right, I see what you mean - seems to work similarly to the 'edit poly' modifier within Max - thanks for that, will be a useful tool! I'm sure there must be a solution to my current problem though, as with the correction deformer you can't define a specific distance to extrude a face from its current position? Cinema's 'axis centre' has the right idea as it enables an exact axis shift to any surface but, again, this can only effect collapsed/editable polygon shapes & won't work on basic cubes.....

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:24:22 pm

you can select a poly (for example) with the correction deformer and then use the Coordinate Manager to move it to a value you choose

Return to posts index

Mostyn Rowley
on Jan 30, 2019 at 9:26:23 am

Right, I've played around with those a bit & that does work... now I have another follow up question if you don't mind... I can change those co-ord parameters to world/absolute/obj etc. If I did this in 3DS Max then - selecting the obj parameter, for example, would reset all the co-ords to zero & I could then type in an amount, or use the arrows to incrementally move the object from its own aligned axis. In C4D all of those options still affect the object in the same way & using the arrows to change an amount has no result - only inputting a figure & hitting 'enter' - is this the way it should be?

Hope that makes sense!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 1, 2019 at 3:05:01 am

with the Coordinate Manager yes, I think so. I think the intent is that you enter values and see the result all at once (or perhaps back with ancient equipment it saved a lot of slow updates... I don't know the real reason). And you can always use Quantization, move the poly (back to the cube face example) with an arrow and once it moves hold shift. Default (unless you are already familiar) at 10 but adjustable to any value you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]