how to attach object to another one deformed by spline wrap

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milan Marecek
how to attach object to another one deformed by spline wrap
on Jan 28, 2019 at 8:40:57 am

Hi
I;m trying to solve the following task and so far not succesfull:

let's imagine we've got a snail, which (kind of soft) body bends along spline (spline warp). But the snail has a hard shell on its beck that should follow the same path but not bend geometry along it. (hard body)
I've spend several hours to figure out how to rig it together to be animated properly.
So far I've tried:
1/ group both and apply spline warp. The shell stays in right position then but the geometry bends (so it seems like shell is not hard but soft - which is wrong) see #1 in attached picture
2/ Use spline warp for body and "align to spline" with the same spline used for shell. Unfortunately, for some reason, the % of spline path position does not reflect spline warp offset %. So for example, if warp offset is 8% and spline position also 8%, the shell is moved a bit back (see attached picture #2)
3/ I was trying also to attach shell to defined vertex of the snail body by using xpresso but it does not work as well (seems that xpresso select the vertex position BEFORE spline warp is applied). Besides, this will probably solve just position but not proper rotation of shell along path.
4/ Also, ways like creating spline inside the snail body and attaching shell to it by using another align to spline does not work. Again, it seems that the position is calculated BEFORE spline warp.

Actually the similar things goes with things like sweep grown parameter and align to spline - the % numbers simply does not mean the same position so it is sometimes hard to animate (grown 10% does not mean fit to spline spline position %).

See attached picture and example c4d file here 13062_snail.c4d.zip

Any tips/ideas?

thanks for help
Milan

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: how to attach object to another one deformed by spline wrap
on Jan 28, 2019 at 7:48:59 pm

anytime you want two different things to follow a spline (spline wrap and the align to spline in this case) particularly when they are slightly separated (the shell needs to be a bit forward to sit over the body) the spline should have Intermediate Points set to Uniform.
In this case you also need to turn 'Tangential' on in the Align to Spline of the shell won't turn with the spline. That turns the shell sideways to the spline so you have to change the orientation of the helix the shell is made of from XY to ZY so it will line up properly.

Return to posts index

Milan Marecek
Re: how to attach object to another one deformed by spline wrap
on Jan 29, 2019 at 8:33:43 am

Thank. I was trying several options but uniform spline.
It is shifted still (like 3%) but that's easily solvable.

thanks for help
Milan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]