MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

custom easy ease for keyframes in cinema 4d

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Byrnes
custom easy ease for keyframes in cinema 4d
on Dec 21, 2018 at 1:50:21 pm

i know its a basic question but is there a plugin out there that is similar to the after effects motion plugin that allows you to change the amount of easy ease between key frames, i find it really non-intuitive using the timeline f-curve to change the feel the keyframes.

any other suggestions welcome, I'm clearly not doing something right

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: custom easy ease for keyframes in cinema 4d
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:47:53 pm

I've never seen (or heard of) a plugin that does that (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist). But for what it's worth the usual wisdom is to practice until it is intuitive because the F-Curves offer so much control. As long as you understand what the f-curve is doing (what it's representing) it should be just a matter of practice. At the risk of being redundant-
left to right is Time and the up and down is whatever parameter the curve controls. I'll assume movement for now to make it easy (and that sounds like what you are doing) but the parameter could be color (or anything keyframed) and the changes would be how fast a color changes....
If the curve is Linear

the parameter change is constant from start to end (keyframe to keyframe) and (if it's movement) an object would move at a constant speed.
A curve that is nearly flat indicates very little parameter change over time so the object would be slow. The steeper the curve is the faster the change over time, the object is faster.
A default ease in ease out looks like this

it starts out kind of flat (slow movement) curves upward (faster) and then flattens out as it gets to the next keyframe (slowing down). Ease in Ease out.
To get a change that's predictable (like I assume the AE setting is like) just make sure both keyframe points are selected (that's the default - but select them both if not) - if both keyframes have the handle they will both be edited - and you only have to grab one of the handles and the other will move in reverse symmetry and you can just drag straight left-right and the curve will have more (or less) flatness at the beginning and end and be steeper/flatter in the middle.
So this would be more ease in ease out

and this would be less

they don't have to be symmetrical it can ease in and then come to an abrupt stop

Return to posts index

Simon Byrnes
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:56:49 pm

thank you for this post and taking the time, but say for example ive keyframed XY and Z in position and then ive also applied some custom bendy tangents from the first keyframe and on the last. Adjusting the f curve in this case i always find drastically change the tangents and the way the object goes from point A to B, when in fact all i wanted to do is adjust speed and easing on this cutom path i have created.

Usually in these situations i just opt to use spline path.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 21, 2018 at 5:40:27 pm

ah, not enough info initially (for me anyway). You can use a Time Track, check it out in the Help but you add a Time Track to the object and then drag that Time Track into the parameters you want the time track to affect (would be Pos X,Y,Z it sounds like) Time Track slot

then adjust the Time Track to look like an Ease In/Out (or whatever). The first and last point of the time track don't seem to be able to be anything but linear so you have to add new points in with a Ctrl-Click on the curve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]