MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Adding lines to edges

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Moore
Adding lines to edges
on Dec 19, 2018 at 3:14:59 pm

Hi All,

The screen shot shows part of a model that will have multi-coloured sections. I’d really like to separate those colours with a black line. Is it possible to run a line along the loop selection shown rather than creating a loop selection of polygons specially for the line and colouring them?

Stephen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Adding lines to edges
on Dec 19, 2018 at 5:26:35 pm

it can be done with Sketch and Toon, turn off the background color render and turn off the Toon Shading and make an edge selection of the edges you want to be black then use the selection to limit the S&T to only that. Depends on how thick the line is since the thicker it is the more it looks like it's floating above the surface.

12968_sketchofsingleedge.c4d.zip

otherwise I think UV mapping and painting the line where you want it

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on Dec 20, 2018 at 2:26:00 pm

Cheers Brian, I've yet to have a go with Sketch and Toon but it looks like it could be an option. One question, can the line retain it size in pro with the model? When I zoom in line remains the same size, ie smaller in pro.

I want to introduce some simple patterns into the coloured areas either side of the line, stripes and dot meshes, which could be a UV map job. I need to do a few more experiments.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 20, 2018 at 3:10:11 pm

using the Distance modifier in the Thickness of the S&T will reduce/increase line thickness with distance, try the Object/Camera/Custom Range settings there. And it may help (or be necessary) to set Pixel Units to Relative Pixels in the Render tab of the sketch mat.

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on Dec 22, 2018 at 8:46:03 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the hint. Since your reply, I’ve been looking at UV mapping, a subject new to me and I think that’s going to be the way forward. I’ve got the hang of it sufficient to create the black separating lines and patterns that I need.

Cheers

Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]