MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Can you parent a null object to a polygon if the object is not editable?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Brant
Can you parent a null object to a polygon if the object is not editable?
on Dec 11, 2018 at 5:26:47 pm

hi everyone.

Ok, so I've been racking my brain at this for some time now. Its probably easier if I break it down into segments...

- I have a sweep object in my project that's made up from a circle and formula. I did this to create a spring.

- I adjust the Y(t) properties to expand & compress the spring. (highlighted in the image below)

I should mention I did this for a compression spring and had no issues but now I need to create a tension spring i.e the two hooks on the end.

So I need the two hooks to stay with the two ends of the spring as I change the formula.

What I thought of doing was to adding a null object into the scene and making it a child of the two polygon faces (caps) at each end of the spring, then parenting the null object to the hooks. Then I realised the only way I can parent the polygons is to make the object editable, but if I was to make the object editable then I can no longer use the formula to expand and compress the spring.

so basically I would like to know if it is possible to parent the spring object ends to the hooks, without losing the ability to change the formulas.

Hope this makes sense

Thank you in advance!!

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
Re: Can you parent a null object to a polygon if the object is not editable?
on Dec 12, 2018 at 8:48:38 pm

You could try something like this, using clones

Make sure to put the cloner object at the bottom of object manager to make it work correctly.

12945_springexample.c4d.zip

This is based on this tutorial :

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Ryan Brant
Re: Can you parent a null object to a polygon if the object is not editable?
on Dec 14, 2018 at 12:03:39 pm

Emir Bojorquez, thank you so much. This has been a great help!! I would of never of thought of using the cloner tool. I have been racking my brain about this one for a while, so I cannot thank you enough!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]