MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

is NV link going to massively benefit gpu rendering or not?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Byrnes
is NV link going to massively benefit gpu rendering or not?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 4:36:01 pm

So im considering buying new pc and the question is between getting a couple of RTX 2080s or two RTX 2070s, im leaning towards 2070s but the 2080s have nvlink which from my limited understanding allows multiple cards to more efficiently share the memory of both cards.

is NV link that great that i shouldn't even consider the RTX 2070 or is it a no brainer in that i should definitely go for the 2080?

I'm currently using redshift gpu renderer

Thanks for your input

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: is NV link going to massively benefit gpu rendering or not?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 5:11:06 pm

don't know from experience myself but this page says NVLink was slightly slower http://www.legitreviews.com/redshift-benchmark-gpu-render-times-with-geforc... (down below the Age of Vultures graph).

In the Redshift FAQs is this - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rP5nKyPQbPm-5tLvdeLgCt93rJGh4VeXyhzsqHR...

"Finally, it should be noted that the VRAM of multiple GPUs is not combined together! I.e. if you have a 4GB GPU and an 8GB GPU installed on your system, these do not add up to 12GB! Each GPU can only use it’s own VRAM. This might change in the future, though with the introduction of NVLink. NVLink is a “bridge” that can connect two GPUs together so that they can share each other’s memory. This comes at a performance penalty which might or might not be considerable in some cases. Redshift does not support NVLink today but we are planning (and have started work) on implementing it."

So it looks like they say there will be a performance hit but that once implemented (and it isn't yet) that they could share memory rather than the current state of memory not being shared across cards. Though there is always OOC...

Return to posts index

Simon Byrnes
Re: is NV link going to massively benefit gpu rendering or not?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 5:47:44 pm

so redshift dont support nv link.... yet.... But i guess going for the rtx 2080 at least future proofs the possibility that it could be a good thing. Alternatively i guess i could have two RTX 2080s one day but decide to just not use the NV link if its non efficient for rendering.

hmm ok...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]