MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating a varnish and gold foil on packaging

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noel Van Ster
Creating a varnish and gold foil on packaging
on Dec 3, 2018 at 8:18:45 pm

Hi

I am new to C4D and am trying to create to textures on a packaging. One is a gold foil texture on a packaging. The other is a varnish onto selected elements of the packaging separate to the foiling. I've tried a couple of methods on the foiling from hdri images on the texture map to a lumas texture on the luminance channel. This was so far my best attempt but I am still looking for a better gloss/gold contrast which I am not exactly getting.

My other problem is adding a varnish. I've tried an alpha channel with various combinations of the other channels but the alpha channel seems to always transpose as black when I lower the opacity of the other channels. I've even tried creating the varnish as a polygon with a transparency and projected this on the packaging but that also is not working.

Please can someone give me a few more suggestions. I would really appreciate it. I am working in R16 too.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Creating a varnish and gold foil on packaging
on Dec 3, 2018 at 8:24:50 pm

what version of C4D?

Return to posts index

Noel Van Ster
on Dec 3, 2018 at 9:00:22 pm

Hi

I'm on version Studio R16.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 3, 2018 at 9:52:30 pm

so you do have the reflectance channel, that will make it possible to add the varnish by adding another reflectance layer and limiting it's area with the Layer Mask inside that new layer. As for the gold foil perhaps it will be the same sort of thing. It would be useful to see a reference image of what you are going for at least.

Return to posts index

Noel Van Ster
on Dec 4, 2018 at 9:09:45 am

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. I've uploaded the images of the front of the packaging. The flat printed artwork and the gold foil layer (shown as yellow) and the varnish (shown as blue). In C4d I have placed them as textures on the rectangular polygon box, but I am struggling to show their properties when placed on top of each other.

I'm a newbie at C4d so sorry if I may be doing things that are not common sense in the C4d world.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 4, 2018 at 10:21:07 pm

not going to have time for tests (probably) until tomorrow but either you can use the reflectance channels in one material or stack materials (Mix) on the box but either way you are not going to see the gold foil reflect anything or the varnish looking 'right' unless you have an environment to reflect and lights placed in exactly the right place to reflect back to the camera. That's just the way it always is in real life and in 3D with anything reflective.
If you take a box like that with shiny bits into a darkened room with not much light and you have to move it around to get the light just right to see the shine. Same thing here excepting you have tons of control of where the lights will go.

Return to posts index

Noel Van Ster
on Dec 11, 2018 at 7:32:44 am

Ok. I've tried a few options but it takes some time to get the correct results so I've put it on the back burner for now to concentrate on a few other packaging related projects. Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I will revisit the box at a later stage and play around with the lighting and other helpful suggestions from this site.

Return to posts index

Jay Vill
on Dec 10, 2018 at 6:23:48 pm

Yeah I'm still somewhat of a newbie too, but I agree with Brian, to make it look good you need to have something to reflect on the gold and maybe position your light source to make it pop.

What I would do if you want gold foil in that specific area, is to make an alpha channel like in photoshop and apply it to a version of the box with a gold texture.

To get that gold look follow this tutorial

This is what I came up with but maybe google a foil bump map instead of the metal bump map he uses.

Then in the material window, add the alpha channel, which is basically a black and white image of whatever you want to mask out, but make sure this box is like 2% larger than the normal box so that the textures don't clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]