MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Retarget workflow for Mixamo when poly count / textures are too high for Mixamo upload

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Retarget workflow for Mixamo when poly count / textures are too high for Mixamo upload
on Nov 28, 2018 at 7:44:10 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Nov 28, 2018 at 7:59:07 pm

I've read up as much as I can on Mixamo issues, and it seems there are now file size and poly count limits on the uploads among other limitations.

Ultimately, I'm trying to apply the animations to a character that has a higher poly count (900k as opposed to their limit somewhere around 200k), and a number of tattoos, uv's for the face, etc which increase the file size... and are problematic in their own right with Mixamo.

The character at the moment is unrigged and has no bones. I was planning on using the auto-rigger in Mixamo. The arms and legs are single meshes, so no separae objects for hand, fingers, etc.

Since I can't upload the character as is, but want it to render as is, I'm trying to work out the best way to upload the exact geometry to mixamo in a format it can handle, then retarget and retexture as quickly and easily as possible.

What's the shortest path here? Can I just ignore all the textures for now, drop a massive poly reduction on the whole thing, export as obj, reimport the animated version, and retarget?

I know how to retarget bones, but not exactly sure how that would work in this case since there are no bones, and I have single objects that are being retargeted to entire chains of bones. Can I just retarget the mesh itself?

Or, would it be better to create some bones, rig it myself first, then just upload the bones to mixamo, reimport them, and retarget the bones? I've worked with half a dozen or so rigs, but haven't created skeleton from scratch, so wary that might take more time than I've got.

What about a hybrid approach like exporting a simplified character, auto-rigging in mixamo, then outputting just the T-pose, then retargeting/fitting my character in c4d to the Mixamo rig exactly, saving the rigged character as the new base character, then from then on just upolading the skeleton to mixamo whenever I want a new animation, reimporting it, and... not quite sure from there... would I replace the static skeleton with the animated one, and the fleshy bits would just follow since all the names are the same, or am I missing something there like the ability to just import the animation without actually reimporting the skeleton.

Any tips / tricks appreciated.

thx

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: Retarget workflow for Mixamo when poly count / textures are too high for Mixamo upload
on Nov 28, 2018 at 8:00:27 pm

Can you share the character?

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
Re: Retarget workflow for Mixamo when poly count / textures are too high for Mixamo upload
on Nov 29, 2018 at 4:30:09 pm

Sure. Here it is.

I'm using the magic symmetry plugin, but it instances the symmetry object along with it's controls, so I think it will show up fine for those who don't have it. Not used to sharing c4d files, so not sure if there are texture path issues or something I can fix on the sending end.

EDIT: I might as well ask. I thought I just hadn't had enough coffee last time. What is up with the system to post a file? It basically forces me to create a new post for the file... and never even brings me back here. Very weird. I end up having to backtrack through history and tabs to get rid of that "post", copy and paste the link manually into (this) original post already in progress. It's either broken or just the most anti-intuitive file posting system I've ever encountered on a forum. Does it just somehow work out despite appearing to force me to make a separate post that's detached from the OP?

Anyway, I'll manually post the link here:

12916_trumpprebake.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 29, 2018 at 11:12:18 pm

there is an easier way to post files, just drag and drop the file into the window with your text and it will upload it and pop a link in for you.

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Nov 30, 2018 at 2:42:07 am

Ah. OK. Much less confusing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]