MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4D render problem with glass windows

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Brinks
Cinema 4D render problem with glass windows
on Nov 23, 2018 at 2:00:04 pm

Hi there,

I've got a issue with rendering a building with glass windows.
The rendering looks in total sharp except what is behind the windows. There it gets a little bit blocky.

See here the rendering:

And here a zoom in:

I think this has to do with render settings or in the material setting of the glass. But I tried different things now but I can't get it sharp.

Who can help me with this problem?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Cinema 4D render problem with glass windows
on Nov 23, 2018 at 4:24:52 pm

Are you using AO and have you excluded the glass from AO?

Return to posts index

Evan Brinks
on Nov 24, 2018 at 11:33:16 am

Hi Brain,

Thanks for your quick feedback.
I tried to excluded AO the glass but still get the blocky view behind the glass.

I make these settings for excluded the glass:

And also tried something else in the render settings. Evaluate Transparancy

But it won´t help.

Maybe it is something in the glass texture?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 24, 2018 at 2:37:15 pm

Seen by AO off (unchecked) is what I meant, which should be normal for glass panes. Evaluate Transparency won't help - it would turn off (or reduce, depending on transparency) the AO on objects the glass would affect (the floor) but unchecking Seen by AO is already removing the glass from AO.
The second full shot of the render is easier to see - Anti-aliasing looks like it's off when seen through the glass at first glance but the brown box inside the house that the car is parked in front of (the garage?) is not behind glass and has the same 'looks like no anti-aliasing' at it's base... maybe the AO needs to be stepped up but I'd need the scene file to get any closer I think (brown box only I'm talking about).
Anti-aliasing can have troubles behind glass. Is your glass a flat plane or does it have thickness? Does your glass have a Refraction index greater than 1? Glass should have but not with a thin sheet like a window in long shots.
Is Anti-Aliasing set to Best? If not, it should be. You might have to activate Consider Multipasses or adjust the Threshold value.
Do you know you can invoke the help for Anti-aliasing (or anything) by hovering your mouse over a setting and pressing Cntrl/Cmnd-F1?

Return to posts index

Evan Brinks
on Nov 29, 2018 at 2:53:45 pm

I changed the anti-aliasing to best and reduce the threshold to 1%.
Now the windows are much better. Thanks a lot.

The garage box is still not what it should be. Also the detail where you look through the window to the garage box.

You say you need the scene file. I can send you the C4D file. Can I send it with a private message on this forum ?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 29, 2018 at 4:17:43 pm

I don't think there is a private message system in this forum (or I haven't seen it used). Since only the house shell and the box are of interest for your last problem, can you just strip the furniture and the car etc and send that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]