MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Spline points copying to a second existing Spline?!?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miron auslander
Spline points copying to a second existing Spline?!?
on Nov 22, 2018 at 11:52:15 am

Hey,

I am trying to create a neon text, type of a scene.

I have a spline that as a couple of points on it(drawn as a letter) and a circle spline both child of a sweep object- to create individuals letters on one spline.

my question is- if I have one group of point making let's say the letter "D" and I want to copy only the points making the "D" to a different "layer" (another word)

how can I copy the existing "D" points into another "layer" that already as other points on it?

as for now, I can only get a new spline "layer" when pasting ☹

Miron

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Spline points copying to a second existing Spline?!?
on Nov 22, 2018 at 7:46:24 pm

object rather than layer I'm guessing, I think you want to select the points you want to copy then Right-Click the viewport and choose Split from the menu that pops up (or Mesh/Commands/Split in the menus (version dependant on where that is). That will give a new object with the copied points in it - it keeps the original one selected so you can then delete (if you are moving something to a new object) so you might need to hide the old spline to see the new one since it will be in exactly the same place.

Return to posts index

miron auslander
on Nov 23, 2018 at 9:30:35 pm

you are guessing right ☺

but the thing is that I'm trying to add to spline points to an existing spline not creating a new one with selected points.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 23, 2018 at 9:50:44 pm

ah, you can use the Structure manager to copy/paste and it will do what you want (it's easiest to undock it to where it's easier to use in combo with the Object manager) or you can take the bits that you get with the Split command and use the Connect (or Connect and Delete) command to add the objects you need together.

Return to posts index

miron auslander
on Nov 23, 2018 at 10:02:57 pm

thank you very much.
I will definitely look into it.
if you have any idea as to were I can get useful information on working with the Structure manager will be appreciated

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 24, 2018 at 1:07:08 am

I haven't seen any tutorials on the structure manager, only stuff in the help. I would use the visual interface by preference myself. Selecting points and choosing Split is a copy operation, it makes a new object with only the parts to be copied. If you use a Connect operation with the new split object and the target you want to paste into, you get a new combo of both objects. If you want it to feel more like a normal copy/paste then use Connect and Delete with the two objects, then the result is only one object.

Return to posts index

miron auslander
on Nov 24, 2018 at 7:03:57 pm

that's exactly what I was looking for.
thank u that was very helpful !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]