MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Same scene rendering differently on Mac and PC

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Didier Fereaux
Same scene rendering differently on Mac and PC
on Nov 21, 2018 at 2:35:53 pm

I've got a scene which I've rendered both on my Mac and PC and they come out differently. The PC seems to over expose reflections and desaturate the colours a bit compared to my Mac. Same output, same settings, same display color profile. I literally copied the project file over and hit render.

At first I thought it was a monitor profile issue, but when I copied the Mac rendered file over to my PC, it looked exactly the same as it did on my Mac.

The reason I ask this is because I use an online render farm who use PC's and when I send the file off to there, I get the PC looking output which is not what I want. I prefer the way the image looks on my Mac (hence why I export it from there and not work on it on my PC).

Anyone else had similar issues?

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: Same scene rendering differently on Mac and PC
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:13:01 pm

Not quite sure that a thing, can you post screen shots?

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 21, 2018 at 5:15:10 pm

I agree with Justin, not usually a thing. It used to be a concern of Mac mixing with PC back when the chips were different but ever since the change to Intel by Mac I haven't heard much. Steve or others might know more.

Return to posts index

Didier Fereaux
on Nov 21, 2018 at 10:28:08 pm

Hey guys!

Here's a screenshot comparison for one of the renders:

https://i.imgur.com/m2LHnjt.jpg

I'm using garagefarm.net. As you can see, the reflections are overexposed on the image on the right.

I've done a bit of research and came across this forum thread:

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/46358-mac-vs-windows-differences-o...

"And it seems to be related with the image used to texture the Color Channel. This image is a PNG 6000x3000 pixels generated on my Mac using Photoshop.

If I disable this image in the Color Channel, leaving it with a simple flat cream tone (and even leaving the rest of channels untouched: bump, specular and reflection with their greyscale textures controling that behaviours) then both renders on my Mac and the PC are absolutely identical when comparing on AfterEfects or Photoshop.

The question now is, what can I do with all the Color Textures on my scenes when rendering on the PC? I need to prepare some custom texture versions only to render over PC's? I suposse it's something related to the Texture Image native Gamma and how it is exported from Photoshop on my Mac and how it is treated on the PC side when reading inside Cinema..."

Maybe it's something to do with the textures I've created in photoshop on my mac perhaps? Very odd.

Don't know if it's anything to do with my computer specs but here they are anyways just incase:

My Mac specs are:
2012 Macbook Pro Retina
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

My PC specs:
Custom PC build
Intel Core i7 8700K Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.70GHz
Corsair Vengeance Blue LED 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR4 3000MHz
2 X EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING iCX 11GB

Return to posts index

Didier Fereaux
on Nov 21, 2018 at 10:50:20 pm

upon further reading it seems to be an .png issue when it comes to editing textures.

I'm going to save them as a .tiff and let you guys know how I go! ☺

Return to posts index

Didier Fereaux
on Nov 23, 2018 at 11:36:06 am

no change. argh.
I embedded the colour profile, didn't embed, tried both. same results.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 23, 2018 at 4:41:13 pm

linear workflow comes to mind but since linear is a project setting and should be followed regardless of where you are rendering it doesn't make sense (but my experience with rendering to different machines is limited)

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Nov 23, 2018 at 6:32:49 pm

Must be the farm settings. Can you post the file, I work off PC.

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]