MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Constraining cloning grid to a object surface

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Moore
Constraining cloning grid to a object surface
on Nov 21, 2018 at 11:32:49 am

Hi All,

I have a landscape where the topography animates into place. There are about 50 layers on the final versions. I’ve only showed the 1st 3 here. That bit works fine. Once the topography animation is complete I’d like a grid of trees to grow up in a wave from left to right probably using a plain effector.

I’ve put a simple tree into a cloner grid as below.

Here’s a close up showing the current ’hover’.

Is possible to constrain the trees to the horizontal steps while keeping them as a clone? I can do this if I make the clones editable and use the clamp constraint tag on each but that’s an unwieldy nightmare. I’m assuming I’ll need to set a selection for the steps.

As far as I can see aligning the cloner with the object mode only gets me this far…

…and because the topography is such an organic shape there’s no polygon grid that can be used to align the clones.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Stephen

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: Constraining cloning grid to a object surface
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:00:08 pm

From what I understand, have you tried setting the cloner mode to "Object" then selecting the surface? Also set the cloner distribution to "Surface"?

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:08:59 pm

Hi Justin,

Thank you for the response. Yes I tried that but what I'd really like to do is keep the trees in that cloned grid and have that sitting on the topography, which doesn't itself have a grid, basically drop the individual trees directly down so that still sit in nice, neat rows.

Regards

Stephen

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:27:31 pm

Ok, so just line up the cloners y axis to the surface.

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on Nov 21, 2018 at 4:22:41 pm

Hi Justin,

If I understand, I think that will only work if the surface is flat; the topography is stepped rather like paddy fields. I've shown the first 3. I need the grid to sit on each step – there'll be about 50 in the final project.

Regards

Stephen

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Nov 21, 2018 at 4:38:27 pm

Yes, sometimes you have just do the work.

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on Nov 21, 2018 at 4:58:35 pm

I was hoping to avoid the long road, but, hey ho, it's not so bad.

Cheers

Stephen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 21, 2018 at 5:10:57 pm

it should be possible to create a spline that will work, Project it down on to the landscape and clone to that. In my example I used a plane object, made it editable, did an Edge To Spline then removed half the splines (just selected one edge of points, Select Connected then delete to get rid of half the points since the splines made from a plane that way go in both directions U and V and you only want one).
For your round landscape you'd have to make a selection for the cloning to restrict it to the places you want.

12903_trees.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]