MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Trouble getting curved swept banks from same spline to match up, and attaching cloned objects to them.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Trouble getting curved swept banks from same spline to match up, and attaching cloned objects to them.
on Nov 12, 2018 at 10:42:54 am
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Nov 12, 2018 at 3:51:52 pm

I haven't used c4d in a few years, so my terminology is probably off. Sharing project file in case that helps as I have very tight deadline. Not sure if there's a way to do that via code, but attaching the project file.

As you can see from the pic, stars aren't lined up right. As you can imagine, they should lie flat against the blue ribbons. Problem is, the blue rails (and containing tunnel are the result of sweeping a spline that constantly twists and turns, so theye are constantly banking, and I can't get the stars to line up since the cloner used to create them doesn't have the same banking options as the sweep used to create the blue ribbon... even though both are following the same spline.

I've tried every option I could think of to get the banking to match including adding a second rail for the cloner, etc. Seems like what I'm trying to do is common sense, so there must be a simple way.

Also, since I'm here... the spline (trefoil knot) underneath everything is derived by formula, and is the same for each layer, so in theory, the blue ribbon and tunnel should match contours perfectly. Oddly, as you scroll through the timeline, you'll see the blue ribbon gets pushed way back into the walls at certain points and not others even though they're sweeping the same spline with consistent radius, and spacing shouldn't vary at all.

I've probably messed up some settings by now testing every spatial interpretation I could manage , but this seems like it's just wrong, and I must be missing something messing up the alignment.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thx. project file below

12887_flagtunnel.c4d.zip

Edited to add: This view better illustrates the second issue. The blue ribbons and red/white tunnel are swept from the same spline (tunnel directly via swept circle, and ribbons via array to duplicate rectangle which is then swept, and set to match banking). In theory, they should match up perfectly, yet as you can see, the blue ribbon pushes through in spots. Is there some best practice for ensuring that objects swept from the same spline have perfectly matching contours?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Trouble getting curved swept banks from same spline to match up, and attaching cloned objects to them.
on Nov 13, 2018 at 4:23:12 am

the misalignment of the blue stripes is due to the blue stripes being replicated by an array - the end result of which is the stripes separated in Z but they need to be aligned to the normal (or tangential) of the spline (as the tube is because it's swept along the spline) not separated in Z from the spline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]