MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Spline Extrude / Taper

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittnell Anderson
Spline Extrude / Taper
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:42:50 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully a simple noob question, but how might I go about tapering a spline extrusion in Cinema 4D?

I'm used to doing it in 3ds Max (example attached), but am having a hard time figuring out how to do something similar in Cinema 4d.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Spline Extrude / Taper
on Oct 31, 2018 at 12:29:33 am

c4d's taper is different as I assume you know. You could do something similar with a Loft - copy the spline and lift it then you could rotate the upper spline to get the same thing but do do it with a deformer it looks like an FFD with only 2 grid points in X/Y/Z to make a simple box then select two of the corner points and drop them. Or select all 4 top points and rotate - which looks more like the max taper.

12847_ffdasmaxtaper.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brittnell Anderson
on Oct 31, 2018 at 6:26:32 pm

Thanks Brian.

After looking at the example file you provided, I realized my main stumbling block was not putting the whole extrude/FFD (and/or Taper) chain under a null first... D'oh!

As suspected, it's a noob thing (which is especially funny, after 20+ years of Max'ing) 😉

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Nov 5, 2018 at 1:10:03 am

You might also need to subdivide your inner most object (either by making it editable or by upping the divisions in the spline and the extrude) otherwise you might get "bent" polys from certain deformers. It all depends on whether the deformer subdivides before or after the warp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]