MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

"Flatten" procedural materials?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron smith
"Flatten" procedural materials?
on Oct 23, 2018 at 9:53:47 pm

I'm using a procedural material that I want to export for Unreal Engine. Is it possible to "flatten" the layers of a texture and export them as a .jpg? For the sake of optimization, I would rather have a tillable material, than a wrap for the entire model.

Here's what the texture layers look like:

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: "Flatten" procedural materials?
on Oct 23, 2018 at 11:30:25 pm

Yes, you can bake materials. There are a couple ways to do it, so I'd suggest checking the help files to see what would work best for you.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: "Flatten" procedural materials?
on Oct 24, 2018 at 8:39:17 am

I saw the previous post with the columns - be aware that exporting/baking will remove the infinitely zoomable resolution you have in the noise functions within cinema. So if you get too close to the mapped object in Unreal or Unity the texture will get soft as the noise is not being generated on the fly anymore. So keep that in mind when choosing a pixel size and resolution for your material export. Bigger usually means you can get close before you see softness, but bigger also can lead to ringing or chatter (especially with noise functions) as the Unreal engine has to downsample the mapped image when the objects are farther away. If this happens you can alter the antialiasing settings for that object alone (in Unity or Unreal) or try changing the interpolation (MIP or SAT etc). I'm not sure about Unreal but in Unity you have a bit more control over the MIPmapping pyramid structure so you can tweak the resolution of the material maps for different distances from camera to reduce ringing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]