MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Not all texture layers rendering.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron smith
Not all texture layers rendering.
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:58:26 am
Last Edited By Aaron smith on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:59:45 am

I am using a stock C4D procedural material that has multiple layers in its color texture. However, when I render the scene I'm working on, only one of the layers actually renders. What's going on?

Here is the material:

Here's how it looks in the preview window (the material is applied to the columns):

And here's how it looks when rendered (the material is applied to the columns):

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Not all texture layers rendering.
on Oct 19, 2018 at 2:49:29 pm

it looks like you are mistaking the difference between the preview window and the render which is not unusual.
The rendered material looks like the material preview (the Sphere in the material editor top picture) - which is a render of the material, so it should.
If you want the viewport to be more like render you can enable Enhanced OpenGL (which it should be by default) and make sure that Noises are enabled (in the Options menu of the Viewport). That will help get closer but it won't be exact usually, sometimes it's really close but not always.

Return to posts index

Aaron smith
on Oct 19, 2018 at 6:20:33 pm

Nope that's not it.

First of all the rendered image looks very different from the preview sphere. Second, the material works fine in other scenes. To show you what I mean, I created a new scene with the material applied to a cylinder. I rendered two scenes: one normal, and one with all but the first color texture layer hidden.

Here is the new scene rendered normally:

And here it is with only one layer in the color textures visible:

As you can see, the 1st image resembles the preview sphere and what the render should look like, and the 2nd image resembles the problem I am having rendering the other scene.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 19, 2018 at 6:26:08 pm

please provide the scene file - images are not useful in this case because there is so much that can potentially be a contributor

Return to posts index

Aaron smith
on Oct 20, 2018 at 6:39:32 pm

Here's the scene file: 12822_halltroubleshooting.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 20, 2018 at 7:37:21 pm

some kind of scale issue, I don't have time to dig but in the example the columns texture gets more complex as the columns get farther from the camera

and the scale of the scene is nothing like real sized (10x6x15 cm) so I scaled it up 250-ish times to something that might be real-world scale and it looks like this.

The material you are using was probably made a while ago when the default scale was meters or just made/tested on real world scale objects.

Return to posts index

Aaron smith
on Oct 23, 2018 at 7:37:21 pm

Thank you! Increasing the scale of the project fixes the issue. It's strange that increasing the scale of the texture alone doesn't produce the same results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]