MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Exporting OBJ from R19 - Windows

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Moss Jones
Exporting OBJ from R19 - Windows
on Oct 10, 2018 at 10:03:17 am

I am trying to export an OBJ from Cinema 4d R19, so that I can bring it into trapcode form but every time I try to export the OBJ it exports as a 3d object file which doesn't work with After effects. Is there a setting that I am missing?
Thanks in advance for any help

M

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Exporting OBJ from R19 - Windows
on Oct 22, 2018 at 9:32:54 am

I'm not sure what you mean by a 3D object file. OBJ is a 3d object format. (do you mean 3Ds max?)
Here's a few things it might be.
OBJ is listed as Wavefront in the export list (and you do have to export and not just save as and rename the extension).
Form only cares about the vertexes so you can try exporting vertexes only in the preference dialogue that comes up when you say export.
The scale of the object may be too small coming from C4D - you can change this in the export prefs.
Form also doesn't care about textures so you can turn those off in the export as they may be corrupting things somehow (but textures are usually ignored in an OBJ for this kind of use)
Are you using Version 3 of Form? You couldn't bring in OBJ's into AE and Form before this version (I think).
All your geometry in C4D must be editable (as in: all polygons - things like extrudes and sweeps and hypernurbs and primitives may not properly export to vertexes - they should but they might not) So hit the C key and make them all editable. If you have deformations you can use mesh/current state to object to collapse the transformations and turn it all in to locked polys.

Return to posts index

Moss Jones
on Nov 2, 2018 at 4:01:29 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My issue is when i export the 3d object from C4D from the wavefront format and try and bring that into after effects it doesn't allow it and my only thoughts were that it was exporting it as a .obj. I'll try some of the things you have mention above and see if that works.

Thanks again for being so helpful

M

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Nov 5, 2018 at 1:11:41 am

Don't forget you can now (as of AE2017 I think) just leave stuff in C4D and have AE render that file live using the original C4D file as a layer.

Return to posts index

mahdi mehrabi
on Aug 5, 2019 at 9:19:56 am

Hey there

I have an issue with exporting OBJ file from Cinema 4D with all of the textures and images I had used to materials.
how I can do it?

thanks to all

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
on Aug 6, 2019 at 2:53:47 am

To import a 3D model and it's textures in AE, you need a Plugin like Element 3D https://www.videocopilot.net/products/element2/

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]