MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cover object with shapes

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cate Stim-Fogel
Cover object with shapes
on Sep 21, 2018 at 4:54:09 pm

Hello. I'm trying to create something like this. Anyone know the best route? Cant't figure out how to get the randomness, and not have it overlap. I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm using Octane. When I was playing around with a cloner and random effector, the render was different from the preview. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Cover object with shapes
on Sep 23, 2018 at 3:03:49 pm

since they are hand placed in the real world it's a hard look to emulate. It looks kind of like a voronoi fracture, which can be made editable, then all the separate pieces can be selected, have their polys all selected and run a Dissolve command which will get rid of the inner points and will flatten the pieces some but some roundness will remain. After that there are a couple ways to flatten the resulting single ngon per object but the easiest I know about (there was a flatten plugin around R12 but that's a long time ago) is to select the poly use the scale tool with Modelling Axis - Axis = Selected and Orientation = Normal but that can't be run on all at once (even if Per-Object Manipulation is on) so it would have to be done for each piece one by one. If you have a 1000+ faces it would be nasty.

With my test I used a sphere so roundness is hard to defeat but if you got the pieces to align right or if they are small (like on the head piece in the photo) it might work out.

12742_mirrormantest.c4d.zip

probably not the only way as well...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]