MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Strange value behaviour in expresso

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smeehuijzen
Strange value behaviour in expresso
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:28:18 pm

Hey people,

I'm trying to do a thing in expresso, but I'm running into some very odd behaviour with a rotation port I'm using.
What it outputs seems to be inconsistent, depending on what node I plug it into.

The output of the Null's rotation port, if I plug it in to the Plane's rotation port, ranges between -90 and 270. A bit odd that it's not just 0 to 360, but workable.
The output of the same port though, if I plug it into seemingly anything else, ranges between ~ -1,5 and ~4,7. It seems weird to me that I'm getting different values from the same port, let alone such seemingly random values.

I was wondering if this is just a weird quirk in cinema or if I've missed something.
I've looked at the port information for all three ports, and the all have the value type 'real'.

Does anyone have an answer, or know where to find it?
Thanks in advance.

Here's the project, if it helps:
12729_agent25drigproofofconcept.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Strange value behaviour in expresso
on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:26:13 pm

will look at the project later but the numbers are likely because in C4D rotations are done in Radians internally, some ports will translate automatically some won't. If you need there is the Degree node which allows you to turns radians into degrees, degrees into radians...

Return to posts index

Tom Smeehuijzen
on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:33:12 pm

ah, I really should've thought about radians, but you were right, that's what it is.
Still a bit odd that cinema counts from -90 to 270, but at least now I know what I'm dealing with, thank you :)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 19, 2018 at 1:57:58 am

unless you need to for some reason, I would turn off Change Pitch Rotation in the point at camera tag on the null then zero P and B so only H is affected and the axis is flat to the world axis. Then you can see that when the null's Z aligns with World Z it does read as 0 degrees

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]