MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Limiting the visible light from a volumetric spotlight to an area beyond its starting point

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Maxon
Limiting the visible light from a volumetric spotlight to an area beyond its starting point
on Sep 17, 2018 at 11:01:55 pm

I have scoured the web and have yet to find a solution to this.

TL;DR: Any ideas on how I can hide the first part of a volumetric spotlight while still being able to view the rest of it?

The context is that I am building a scenario in which a smart phone screen displays a video in a dark atmosphere, resulting in soft light-rays being emitted from it that match the video on the screen. I am achieving this by positioning a spotlight behind the phone that is tagged with a material that has a transparency channel loaded with a texture of the video that is also mapped to the phone's display. The spotlight is set to exclude the phone itself, resulting in the light-rays being emitted in a fairly life-like manner.

The problem that I can't get around is that when viewing the phone from an angle the first part of the volumetric spotlight shows up behind the phone. I need to get a very specific shot of the phone from an angle, but I don't want to see the tip of the cone behind the phone--only the part that is emitted once the volumetric light has passed through the phone.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Limiting the visible light from a volumetric spotlight to an area beyond its starting point
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:00:25 am

Simple solution: go to the light's "Details" tab, enable near clipping, and set the desired start/end distance.

Return to posts index

Michael Destihle
Re: Limiting the visible light from a volumetric spotlight to an area beyond its starting point
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:27:13 am

Wow! Now don't I feel silly.

The simplicity of the answer was why I wasn't finding anything online about it! It was more obvious than I could have realized. I saw that option earlier but assumed that "clip" meant the brightness of the light overall.

Thank you kindly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]