MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Allign camera position from after effects to Cinema

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Börjesson
Allign camera position from after effects to Cinema
on Sep 14, 2018 at 8:14:04 am

Hey!

I'm mixing a project in Cinema 4d and Adobe after effects, both 2d and 3d.

I want to adjust the camera so that the black box from Cinema fit in the white checkered box in AE. Is there anyway to fix this exactly proportional? I know I can chose which camera I want to follow in the Cinema settings.

Thanks on behalf!

/ D

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Allign camera position from after effects to Cinema
on Sep 14, 2018 at 9:06:28 pm

What version of AE and C4D do you have? There are various work flows for this depending on versions.

But, any 3D null, Solid, camera and light will get sent to C4D when you export from AE, (or any 3D layer, but those will come in as either a null or a solid in C4d). And any camera and light and any object with an external composting tag on it will get exported from C4D when you export to AE.
With that in mind, you could put 3D nulls at the corners of your box for exact placement and then export the project. Use the imported nulls as positioners in the other app. And "look through" the camera that came from the other app.

The differences through the years are due to: in AE when you increase the Y value objects go down, and the origin is top left of frame. In C4d neither of these is true. Over the years the exporter has learned to compensate for these differences. So if you count the object's origin to place objects in the other package this may not work as you might expect. Neither app knows about size of the incoming assets, it just knows about the anchor point of the object and its position.

Remember to choose the C4D camera that got imported into AE in the viewports "views" list or have the imported C4D camera turned on and on top of all other cameras in AE so it gets selected when Active Camera is set in the view port.

If you have a newer version of AE (>2016 I think) you can use Cineware (it comes with AE) to pull the camera from C4D into AE, or you can bring the C4D project into AE as a layer. AE will render that layer as though it was being rendered in C4D (with some limitations).

Return to posts index

Dan Börjesson
Re: Allign camera position from after effects to Cinema
on Sep 14, 2018 at 9:23:38 pm

Steve, thank you so much for the reply, you are the best!

I am using AE CC 2018 and Cinema 4D R17.016.

And I never knew that I could export the composition from after effects to Cinema, I used to create a new Cinema project which I dragged into AE. But this way is so much better. Now I have the camera from the begging, which is awesome.

It was that easy, but I couldn't done it without your help, thanks again!

(I'm using the Cineware to choose camera from Cinema)

Cheers! / D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]