MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Organic lily shape

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Woods
Organic lily shape
on Sep 12, 2018 at 12:05:08 pm

Hi there,

I'd really like to create float/twisty/ frilly shapes such as a Cala Lily's in C4d but struggling to find any good tutorials online. So far I've been using planes and the jiggle deformer to get something similar but I'd like more control on the process. Can anyone advice on me on the best way to do this please.

Many Thanks,

Rosie

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Organic lily shape
on Sep 14, 2018 at 2:35:49 am

hard question because there are probably many ways. An inverted cone with no caps might be a good start, sliced and wrapped a bit more than 360 to get the overlap (I see in images), then soft selections and or the magnet tool or the sculpt system. But there is definitely more than one way

Return to posts index

Rosie Woods
on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:39:02 am

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your response! I didn't know the Soft selection and magnet tools even existed. Game changer for me thanks! I have a quick follow up question. After I've sliced and wrapped the cone (thanks didn't know this was possible either) how do I separate the overlapping segments of the cone so it resembles that spiraled look. At the moment it still looks like a cone. I've tried a few different ways with the selection tools but I'm stuck. Sorry!

Rosie

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 18, 2018 at 3:02:43 pm

Do an Optimize (Points Mode) after you make the cone editable as there seem to be a couple extra points and then use the soft selection in Surface mode which will make sure the points that move are along the surface in the distance range and not just "every point in range".

After you get the shape close, moving single points (or sculpting if you have Studio). There has to be more than one way to do this and using as few points as possible inside a Subdivision Surface and extruding edges out from a source would be a choice too. I just did a quick test, took a disk object and reduced the segments to 12 and did the same over-wrapped slice, then extruded the outer edges upward all in an SSD to smooth. Totally not a good attempt (quick) but the initial shape is there without a lot of work.

Return to posts index

Rosie Woods
on Sep 21, 2018 at 2:09:40 am

Thank you, Brian. SO HELPFUL!

I really appreciate that you took the time to do this for me ☺ I've learnt so much in a few simple sentences. I'm using C4d to create paintings. You'll see some of these soft shapes popping up soon! My Instagram is @itsrosiewoods or http://www.itsrosiewoods.com

Wishing you all the best ☺

Rosie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]