MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Time offset effectors' animation for individual motext letters

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullin
Time offset effectors' animation for individual motext letters
on Sep 8, 2018 at 10:12:54 pm

When using After Effects, there is an option to make the text animate in in a random order. With Cinema, I appreciate I can animate the fall-off, but then the animation seems to happen from one direction or from the centre to edges of my text.

I know I could do it by baking out the animation of the motext elements to keyframes or splitting my motext object to separate objects for each letter but I was wondering if there is a procedural way of doing it.

Many thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Time offset effectors' animation for individual motext letters
on Sep 9, 2018 at 3:31:20 am

I assume you're applying a Random Effector with the mode set to noise? The key is to check the "Indexed" box.

Return to posts index

John McMullin
on Sep 9, 2018 at 7:18:18 am

Hi Adam,

I think maybe I haven't explained myself well or else my approach is all wrong.

Currently I am using the random effector, randomising position and rotation and animating the strength slider from 100 to 0. This means that my letters all come to their final positions at the same time. If instead of animating the strength slider I use the linear falloff, the animation order of the letters all happens from one side. Clicking the index button changes the random start positions but not the time at which each individual letter resolves to its final resting place. Using noise means that the positions are constantly wiggling about, which isn't what I want either.

I would like each letter to look as though it's animated at a different time and the animation order to be totally random.

Many thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Sep 9, 2018 at 4:27:59 pm

Wow, I did completely misunderstand what you were trying to do. ☺

If I'm getting it now you can achieve what you're trying to do by using a variation of the trick GSG used in their card flip tutorial.

In this case you're going to use a random effector get the start look you want, but you're going to use a Shader Effector to animate the weight of the random effector.

Steps:

* set up random effector for desired position/rotation;

* in the random effector's Falloff tab, set Weight to 0%;

* create shader effector, zero out parameter tab but set "Weight Transform" to 100%;

* add a noise shader in the shading channel;

* inside the noise shader, animate Brightness to randomly cancel the effect of the random shader.

Example: 12703_randomtestrandomtime.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

John McMullin
on Sep 9, 2018 at 10:22:21 pm

Great Adam,

Got it and I now understand a bit more about manipulating weights. Pretty invaluable going forward.

My animation looks nice and smooth. Better than the one where I made my motext editable and gave them all separate effectors with offset keyframes. A lot less work as well.

Thanks so much for your help. Worked a treat.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]