MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Can you not copy a hair object and its link object to a new project?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
Can you not copy a hair object and its link object to a new project?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:08:10 am

I've got a simpler second project that I've set the hair object up in with the linked generator object copied from the main project. This works well because I don't have all the clutter and render overhead of the main project while I tweak the tresses.
Now that the hair looks better than Fabian's, I thought I could just copy both the hair object and the linked object the hair is generated off back into the main and it would all work. But even if I clear the link in the hair object and then relink either to the copied object or the original, the hair count is grayed out and nothing shows.
What broke?
The hair "material" came with the copy so its not that.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Can you not copy a hair object and its link object to a new project?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:16:57 am

What happens if you save the hair file and merge it into the larger project rather than copy/paste?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:22:14 am

Yep tried that. No luck.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:24:10 am

I should mention. That's R19 on Win7.
Currently I'm rebuilding it in the larger project and copying and pasting each and all of the values from the previous set up. If only we had computers for these repetitive tasks!

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:39:02 am

You probably just need to add the "Hair Render" (Render Settings>>Effects>> Hair Render// Or Right click on the hair >>Hair Tags>>Render) ? or a small copy of your project could help to check

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 2:48:16 am

Yep, tried that too. The hair object generates the render tag and with the copy or merge that never gets triggered. The real mystery is why the hair count box is grayed out.
I'm almost done the copying and pasting of all the settings. Thats taking less time than trimming the project down. Of course the small version I was working with works just great so there's no point sending that.

While we're on the topic, I was hoping to add what amounts to a luminescence channel to the hair instead of the usual diffusion options that are available in the hair shader. Is there any way I can trick it? Pipe a lumanence output from another material into the diffuse port on the hair shader perhaps?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 20, 2018 at 3:31:17 am

I solved the luma channel issue - if you change the hair tag generate type to "flat" you can then add a normal material ontop of the hair tag and use a luma only texture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]