MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Bending an area object light in Cinema 4D?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
che sen
Bending an area object light in Cinema 4D?
on Aug 8, 2018 at 9:28:27 am

Hi there, I setup a simple scene (File C4D: https://f1.creativecow.net/file/12620/12620_objectlightbendproblem.c4d.zip ). I had:
- A Cylinder object with Bend deformer
- An area light (set object light to the above Cylinder) with "Show in render" checked.

=> I want to see the light also bended in render but it not works. Is there any way to solve this? (I don't want to use Luminance material and GI render).

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Bending an area object light in Cinema 4D?
on Aug 8, 2018 at 3:16:55 pm

Right click on the Cylinder and select "Current State to Object," which will create a new Cylinder with the applied deformation. Drag that new one into the "Object" window of the Area Light's "Details" settings.

From the help file for Light Object: Details

Object

If Object / Spline is selected in Area Shape, you can use any (polygonal) object or spline for the shape of your light. Simply drag the shape into the light’s Object text field.

Note:
If an object is used that was deformed using a deformations object, the shape of the object prior to its deformation will be used. Applying the Current State to Object will create a deformed polygon object that can be used.

Return to posts index

che sen
on Aug 10, 2018 at 3:25:20 am

Thank you so much, but I want to animate it (bend it from left to right) => so that, I can not "Current State to Object"

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 10, 2018 at 4:36:13 am

you can Bake the cylinder in the Timeline. Timeline/Functions/Bake Objects (with the cylinder selected - you will likely have to drag the cylinder into the timeline). PLA is the important setting, I'd uncheck the others (on the bottom) if you don't need them. I'd leave the top 3 turned on. That will make a baked copy, remove the Bend from that (which will be 'double bending' now) and use that as the area source in the light.

Return to posts index

che sen
on Aug 10, 2018 at 5:24:45 am

Thank you so much. It works!!!

So, just my opinion, are there any others way to do this (e.g: xpresso?)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 10, 2018 at 6:12:04 pm

not that I know of, the help says:
"If Object / Spline is selected in Area Shape, you can use any (polygonal) object or spline for the shape of your light. Simply drag the shape into the light’s Object text field.
Note:
If an object is used that was deformed using a deformations object, the shape of the object prior to its deformation will be used. Applying the Current State to Object will create a deformed polygon object that can be used.
"
and I don't know any other way around that besides baking the deformation in. Otherwise, put a luminant texture on the cylinder and use it as the light using GI (which you said you don't want to do).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]