MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Align to Spline+Rotation Issue

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davlet Ovezov
Align to Spline+Rotation Issue
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:02:20 pm

I have a wheel moving along the spline (road). I did the wheel rotation manually before I applied the Align to Spline and the wheel stopped rotating. Any idea what can be done? Thank you. I am using R14.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Align to Spline+Rotation Issue
on Jul 31, 2018 at 3:47:04 pm

C4d has to take over all rotation channels (HPB) so that it can control the rotation of the wheel around the path. It may seem overkill because you are probably only wanting the wheel to follow the path tangentially in the wheels H (Y) but think about if the path looked like a Rube Goldberg machine and the path had a 3rd dimension to its travellings. At some point the rotations to keep the wheel aligned to the path would add up to a gimbal lock - so C4D needs all the rotation channels to control that.
The solution is to nest your already rotating wheel in a null and have the null follow the path. The advantage of this is that you can have the null not be at the wheels center so it can literally stick to the road while the wheel rotates about its own axis somewhere above the road.

Return to posts index

Dovlet Ov
on Jul 31, 2018 at 9:25:50 pm

Hey Steve, thanks for the hint. I nested the wheel group to a null and now it is way off the track. Let me try to adjust the gizmo and see what comes out of this.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 31, 2018 at 9:55:30 pm

The align to spline snaps the anchor point of the object (in this case the new parent null) to the spline. So just move the anchor point with the Enable Axis tool until the whole thing lines up. You can also do this anchor point adjustment with the rotation of the null so that the wheel is facing the right way.

Return to posts index

Dovlet Ov
on Jul 31, 2018 at 11:21:50 pm

Hey Steve, it worked! I repositioned the wheel group, not the new null and it fits like a glove! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]