MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Assistance with texturing a keyboard.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Matthews
Assistance with texturing a keyboard.
on Jul 27, 2018 at 1:08:46 pm

Hi,

I'd like to ask you for your assistance. I'm working on a project that contains a keyboard and I'm at the stage to texture the characters and symbols on it.
I used the Cloner Object for the standard majority ones and separate ones where the size and shape differs.

Ultimately, I'd like to export a texture map of the keys in the layout as they are, place all markings of the keys in Ps and then project that single texture on all keys at once.

Now.. I never did any detailed texturing like this yet and don't have any idea where to start. I did look tutorials and info about UV-mapping and such but wasn't able to extract what I need to solve it.

I attached images of both the keyboard and a snip of the project in the Object Manager.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Assistance with texturing a keyboard.
on Jul 28, 2018 at 6:43:53 pm

Treat it like they do in manufacturing. Use a material that is the color of the keyboard for the whole thing, then on a second material that sits over the first, use a flat mapping to put a stencil of just the letters over the tops of the keys. The image of the letters would be all black (or whatever color you want the text to be) with an alpha of the letters to "cut them out" when placed over the base texture.
If you take a snap shot of the key board from above (perpendicular to the face of the key tops). then close cut that image to the edges of your model, and use that image size and reference to place the letters in the alpha., Then when placing that in 3D you can simply right click on the texture and say "fit to object" : no messy line up! (tip: you have to get the orientation of the flat mapping right so that the arrows in the texture map orient properly when using the texture tool: the red arrow points to the right and the green arrow points up)

Return to posts index

Dave Matthews
on Jul 29, 2018 at 5:04:40 am

Thank you very much, Steve ☺

Looks like I was first looking in the wrong direction with UV edit, and all that. Doing it like this works perfectly 😃
Note to self (again): a lot of things are simpler than you might think at first.

I had problems with showing the text texture smooth. I leave it as a note for others that might experience this once.

I created part of the markings in Ps with text-objects (non-flattened) and was surprised it showed the text low-res/not-aliased like when rendering. No matter how high resolution the image and what "Sampling" setting I tried in the Alpha channel.
Finally, the problem was that when experimenting I'd checked "Mix Texture" in the texture-tag of the object. After un-checking that, it showed up great.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 29, 2018 at 6:35:44 am

Mix texture isn't needed when the second material has an alpha. If the alpha text material is the second (to the right) texture on the object, the alpha should cookie cutter the text over the base texture. However depending on how the alpha was made, you may need to try different settings in the alpha channel of the texture.
It used to be that C4d couldn't process smart objects or text from Pshop but I haven't checked that in R19, but still, I would be surprised: half of what should be cross product compatible doesn't even work between adobe products.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]