MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Move work from C4D Demo into C4D in After Effects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lones
Move work from C4D Demo into C4D in After Effects
on Jul 25, 2018 at 8:43:44 pm

Hi All,

I was playing around in the demo this morning, one thing led to another, and I ended up coming up with something that would be useful in one of my AE projects.

I think this is a pretty long shot, but is there any way for me to copy or transfer work that I've done in the C4D Demo into C4D Lite for use in After Effects?

A couple notes:

- I don't believe I've used any effects or features that are excluded from the Lite version in AE. Its just a bunch of extruded paths.

- I opened the AE file and created a new .c4d file in hopes of being able to copy my objects from one project to the other (which, on the surface, seems to work). However, because the demo version is already running, the .c4d file from AE opens IN the demo, so I can't save the work.

I fully realize this is probably the kind of thing that Maxon DOESN'T want to happen, hence the limits on both C4D Lite and the Demo, so I fully expect it not to be possible. Posting on the off-chance I can avoid rebuilding the whole thing again in AE's version.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Move work from C4D Demo into C4D in After Effects
on Jul 25, 2018 at 9:35:12 pm

Can you save from the demo? If so that file should open in Lite or the full version as long as the Rev number is the same or greater in LITE. If it won't open, it might Merge.

If you are on a PC you can have the demo AND the lite version running simultaneously. You can then copy and paste all the objects from one to the other (at least in theory, as the copy feature may be turned off in the demo.)

Depending on what is in your project you could also export to another format (FBX or C4D xml) and then bring that back into the LITE version. But the export features may be turned off in the demo.

Return to posts index

Chris Lones
on Jul 26, 2018 at 1:06:10 pm

Thanks, Steve.

It appears that all saving and exporting features are blocked (understandably) in the Demo. Your second suggestion is the route I tried to take, but I haven't been able to get both versions of C4D to open simultaneously. I think because I already had the demo open when I "edit original'd" in After Effects, it just opens that file in the Demo rather than in Lite. I'm successfully able to copy all the elements into the other project, but then get stonewalled because you have to save it to get the changes to take in After Effects. It's looking like this probably isn't going to work...

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 26, 2018 at 5:03:24 pm

If you are on a PC, fire up LITE and the go find the exe for the demo and right click on it and choose Open. If that doesn't bring both apps to a run state, pin the one that isn't running to the task bar and then do the right click thing above. That should get both running at the same time.

Return to posts index

Chris Lones
on Jul 26, 2018 at 6:10:35 pm

Yeah, that makes sense, except I'll have to close the demo to take that approach, which means I'll lose the work I've already done. I think I'm gonna just start re-building in Lite.

Thanks for your help, Steve. I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]