Generating Motext 'objects' randomly

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bha Vana
Generating Motext 'objects' randomly
on Jul 23, 2018 at 6:33:58 pm

Good morning/afternoon...evening??? CreativeCow Community members,

Help please—and thank you.

I am trying to present/generate/emit single MoText or Spline Text numbers/objects (b/w .01¢ and $9.99) and have each one of the 'numbers' be part of a animation I'm making (dynamics to be applied to each). I need them to appear in a random order and currently I can only get the emitter to 'emit' in the exact same sequence every time. I know I am missing some very basic step, but that is why I am asking for help. I have tried every obvious choice, to no avail, as the techniques I'm using are not working.

-I have tried creating MANY MoText objects, placing them in an emitter, and then placing the emitter in a Random effector.

-I have tried creating MANY MoText objects, placing them in a Cloner, and then placing the Cloner in both: a Random effector and an Emitter.

-I have tried several other, upon reflection, spastic'ly selected 'configurations' as well...this is how I knew it was time to reach out.

Again, thank you in advance for any pointers and I look forward to contributing to the Community when/where I'm able.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Generating Motext 'objects' randomly
on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:45:00 pm

If you put them in a cloner, you can just enable the random selection under the "clones" parameter in the Object tab of the cloner.
That will spit out all the objects in the cloner in a random order. Then use a Random Effector to position your elements in space randomly. Or better yet: a Shader Effector - it's a random effector on stereoids that lets you use a texture (usually with an animated noise) to control the random positions of the objects emitted.

And it may have just been in the writing, but you don't actually apply the random effector by putting the cloner "in" a random effector. You have to assign (or drag and drop) the random effector to the Effector tab of the Cloner object (or just choose a new effector while the cloner is selected and it will be assigned automatically.)

You could also do this with expresso and make a link list of the objects and have C4D pick the items from that list to generate from an emitter in a random order by injecting a random number into the Index port of the Link List node.

Return to posts index

Bha Vana
on Jul 23, 2018 at 11:28:00 pm

Steve,

thanks for several things:

1) the terrific suggestion: it worked ☺
2) the alternative way to randomize location, that's clever. Since I'm trying to get the numbers onto a conveyor belt, I'd rather have them generate to their location a little more predictably for this project.
3)thanks for clarifying my hierarchy of operations, I knew it was wrong to write it that way, but suspected that may be part of my problem in how I was thinking through it.
4) Really excited to try the expresso idea. In fact, I started there as it makes more sense, not only for the problem I posted, but especially for the next area of animation where I will need to direct each #, based on a range, into different silos and I hoped expresso could let me set the term for a range (i.e., .all #'s b/w 01¢-25¢ for one silo, all #'s b/w 26¢-99¢ for another and so forth) but i just could even get a toe hold on how to set up the nodes. I have tried the Cineversity site as well as YouTube - no luck yet - but I will be sure to try your suggestion.

Again, thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 24, 2018 at 12:25:14 am

For expresso you can pump in a random number into the link list to pick the object from the list, and then you can examine the output of the list on the other side of the node. You can do a compare on that output (either via the name of the object or it's position in the list) to send that object output to whatever "silo" goes with that object.

It's really just a bunch of "if" statements. You can do that either with a bunch of compare nodes or it might be cleaner to use a coffee script where you can use the "switch" command to send a single input (of the output of the link list) to different outputs based on some parameter. It's like you are sending models (or in your case words) through a pipeline that shifts to deliver them to the right spot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]