MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problem with rigging a model in Cinema - binding

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivaylo Petrov
Problem with rigging a model in Cinema - binding
on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:14:50 am

Hello, dear people! ( :

I've been trying to make quite a simple rig for an astronaut model I have downloaded freely, but is not rigged by itself.

Been using the joint tool and creating a standard bipedal skeleton, using symmetry for the arms and legs joints. Here's a picture:

12568_astronaut.jpg.zip

The issue is that when I use the bind command (with every joint and every mesh selected), it doesn't really bind it to my model. There are new skin tags and weight modifiers created, but trying to move a joint results in moving just the skeleton and not the mesh above it.

Interestingly , when I merge my model parts into a single one, the binding seems to be working. What am I missing? Thank you (( :

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Problem with rigging a model in Cinema - binding
on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:49:42 pm

I think you have discovered the problem. The bone structure and binding you are describing is expecting a single mesh instead of a different part for each limb or fashion accessory.
The problem with a disconnected model like this is that when you rotate the shoulder socket, the "fabric" of the chest won't change, the arm will rotate as though it's a barbie doll with a seam at the shoulder. If the character is meant to be an assembled doll, that's find, but if it's supposed to look normal, you will end up with gaps where the boots don't meet the leg etc.

Return to posts index

Ivaylo Petrov
on Jul 24, 2018 at 3:52:09 pm

thank you for your time!

I hoped that there would be an option to select materials after posing the model, but I guess I'll just have to go with the less flexible, but working option now.

best,
I

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 24, 2018 at 5:01:48 pm

You can apply materials at any time. The problem might be that because the model seems to separate parts, there will be a texture for each part. This may produce seams at the texture or model break points.
It all depends on whether you want to combine those parts into one model (then you could use body paint to stitch all the textures together into one big UV mapped texture), or you want to have separate limbs and then you can have separate textures.
The only caveat to all this is you may need to apply the textures at the home or T position. When a mesh is warped it needs to warp the texture with it, so often the texture will need to be applied at the default position time, then, when the character moves the texture will "stick" to the mesh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]