MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

assigning Different colors to each sweep stroke

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ranveer Singh
assigning Different colors to each sweep stroke
on Jul 22, 2018 at 1:44:24 pm

Hey Creatives,

I am trying to create this rotating sphere with moving lines and I want to assign each line a different color. (Something like Variant Shader).
I created it with a bunch of moving sphere, Tracing their path and then applying Sweep on it. I already tried applying Variant shader, Colorizer and multi shader but couldn't achieve what I am looking for.

Please take a look if it helps https://snag.gy/iJlGDe.jpg

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: assigning Different colors to each sweep stroke
on Jul 23, 2018 at 2:11:38 am

Try this: Use a Color Shader in the color channel of the material. Place the Sweep into a Fracture object (set its mode to Explode Segments and Connect), add a Random effector to it with Color Mode on, and experiment with the Blending Mode.

And if you don't mind sharing it, I would like to see your project file.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 23, 2018 at 3:26:44 am

or as Jim said, Sweep into a Fracture (Explode and Connect) then use a Variation shader. It's also possible to use a Color Shader (with the Random effector still) inside a Variation shader...

Return to posts index

Ranveer Singh
on Jul 23, 2018 at 3:45:41 am

here is the link to file and the reference picture of the look I am trying to achieve.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gy5E2KtqvnjLU0e9AiFRS_7v03eU_QNv

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 23, 2018 at 3:56:24 pm

Thanks for the project file. Looking at your original screenshot I couldn't understand what you were doing with the Turbulence modifier, and the dynamics tags on the cloner and sphere. I guess you had been, or were planning to, experiment with using an emitter and particles with turbulence to generate motion for the tracer?

Looking at your example image, I'll play around when I get a chance and see if I can come up something similar.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 23, 2018 at 4:57:42 pm

the example looks not like a traced bunch of lines but very few (or only one) doing a 'spirograph' sort of pattern but spherical. If it's only one line (or few) the color could just be a linear gradient along the length

Return to posts index

Ranveer Singh
on Jul 23, 2018 at 5:16:22 pm

I wanted some of the lines to go diagonal, that's the reason I put turbulence and made them dynamic.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 23, 2018 at 10:53:00 pm

According to the help menu, modifiers (like Turbulence) generally only work with particles, but can be used with dynamics if included in the Forces list. As you have it set up, Turbulence isn't doing anything in your project, which can be confirmed by disabling or removing it. Unless I am mistaken, the diagonal movement is resulting from the dynamics tags alone, and is being controlled by the Follow Position setting in the cloner's tag.

Just as a jumping off point, I tried cloning a circular sweep onto a sphere, and simply duplicating and rotating the setup. There are many possibilities with the sphere type, and the distribution choices of the cloner. Here's one:

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 24, 2018 at 12:27:46 am

Hey Jim, since turbulence only works on the particles, could you not then "trace" those disturbed particles to get the sweepable paths required and wouldn't those paths now be turbulated (is that a word)?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 24, 2018 at 1:14:59 am

Yes, you are right about that Steve. Using particles and turbulence would generate the motion necessary for a tracer, but I think Ranveer was trying to do it with sweeps around a sphere to get the look he wanted. I haven't played around with trying to get particles to make a spherical path, but it might be doable with attractor and rotator modifiers. Earlier today I did a little experimenting with a turbulence modifier added to the Forces list of a Rigid Body tag, but I couldn't get it to do anything. If you are familiar with that, and have any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

Since you wrote it, "turbulate" is now a word, regardless of what any silly old dictionary may say. I know exactly what you mean by it, so feel free to use it. As Humpty Dumpty supposedly said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 24, 2018 at 1:32:55 am

Humpty was a politician? (Now that I've said that, I have a memory of Carroll depicting Humpty in the shape of Churchill or some other parliamentarian)

I haven't tried this but once you get the traces from the particles can't you feed those into the sweep object to be the path? Or, because it's one emitter for the particles, does the sweep see the traces as one giant path made of all the traces? (hmm what would that look like?)

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 24, 2018 at 2:29:05 am

[Steve Bentley] "I haven't tried this but once you get the traces from the particles can't you feed those into the sweep object to be the path? Or, because it's one emitter for the particles, does the sweep see the traces as one giant path made of all the traces?"

Yes, that works fine, and it does create separate sweeps for each particle. The question is, how do you control those paths to create an image similar to what Ranveer provided?

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
on Jul 24, 2018 at 4:00:35 am

Is this what you are looking for?

12571_colorssweepexample.c4d.zip

With the noise Low and High Clip of the first material, you can move through the colors of the second material.

Good Luck

Emir
pixldgblog.com

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Ranveer Singh
on Jul 24, 2018 at 5:01:53 am

Thank you for helping me out here. This is 90% it what I wanted. just a bunch of line going diagonally.

this is what I came up with. It is still not perfect though but more simple. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S-vesP7UvlUpb9HCt6VuuKqK5lzR3tyJ
I want the sphere with lines in the image to rotate.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 24, 2018 at 1:06:01 pm

[Ranveer Singh] "I want the sphere with lines in the image to rotate."

Looks good Ranveer. Now just rotate the cloner.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]