MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Asset Error when rendering

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellen Donnelly
Asset Error when rendering
on Jul 20, 2018 at 4:18:55 pm

New to C4D

I've downloaded a collection of 3d models of food items from cgtrader and am having trouble getting them in full working condition.

I can File>Merge individual items as .obj files (from provided ".obj's" folder), and then create materials by loading .jpgs (from provided "Textures" folder) into the color, diffusion, bump tabs.
This sort of works, but the models are complex, each one using 3-10 different materials. Also, some of the textures seem to be missing. Also, not sure if I'm doing it right at all.

The cgtrader download also included .c4d files, and when I File>Merge them, the meshes appear and it seems like the materials appear, but when I try to render I get an error message "Asset Error" with a list of all the .jpgs associated with the materials.

What is the best way to open a .c4d file with all of the textures and materials?

Would be great if I didn't have to assign images to all 3 tabs of all like 100 materials.

THANKS

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Asset Error when rendering
on Jul 20, 2018 at 6:04:56 pm

You might be stuck. When some of these 3D providers transcode the models to another format (maya to C4D for instance) they don't always ensure that the textures, or even the hierarchies remain intact. It could also be that a different 3D package maps them differently and the transcode can't accommodate that mapping.

What you can try though is to make sure the folder where the textures reside is in the list of texture folders C4D knows (that list is in the C4D preferences and you can customize it).

You can also try making a folder called "tex" and putting is right next to the C4D file on your drive and put all the textures in it. Then fire up that file and see what happens.

Finally, it might be a naming convention. Check that the names C4D is asking for match what the name of the texture is. Often the textures are old or coming from a country who has different characters on their keyboards and the naming gets changed to accommodate a different OS, or substitutions are made to replace characters that are not allowed.

Return to posts index

Ellen Donnelly
on Jul 23, 2018 at 2:56:08 pm

Thank you!
The C4D folder had a "tex" folder that was empty. I brought all the textures in and now it works perfectly, but render times are so long!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 23, 2018 at 3:38:02 pm

Many times, purchased 3D assets will not be optimized for the fastest render times or for the package you have transcoded the file to, instead going for the best looking renders (often GI or using specific high-end render engines) and that can massively up the render times.
GI renders are truly stunning when done correctly but are not always needed

Materials included with these assets are often more complicated than they need to be (or have been made complicated because the originating package could pull off an effect natively while C4D can't) or use displacement instead of geometry. It used to be that a texture was worth a thousand polygons, but these days with displacement shaders, a texture might just make 10,000 polygons during the render stage to gain the detail the material needs - and that tessellation of the geometry happens every single frame of the render - it's quite time consuming.
While a frame is rendering, look at the bottom left of the picture viewer and see what the processors are crunching on the most.

Learn the basics of lighting and materials, then learn some tricks to fake GI. Things will render soooo much faster. There is nothing like a GI based render but I find it gets used as a big red single render-button crutch for those who want to go from 0 to 100 miles an hour in their learning cycle and skip all the hard work. If you know how something works, you can make it do much more than it was originally designed for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]