MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

best way to model and animate a snake's tongue flicker

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilary Tsai
best way to model and animate a snake's tongue flicker
on Jul 15, 2018 at 6:55:47 am

Hi all,

I'm doing a logo for a friend, and he would like a snake modeled in 3D with a tongue flicker animation. This is the reference video he gave me:

I've done the snake, so now all that's left to do is the tongue. I've tried the bend deformer but the results do not look even close to realistic. (It doesn't have to be realistic, as the snake itself is cartoonish. But it should be believable.) Would anyone here recommend a method they think is best for this type of animation? Is there a way to do it with bend, or should I forget bend altogether?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: best way to model and animate a snake's tongue flicker
on Jul 15, 2018 at 3:56:42 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:15:05 pm

How about a spline wrap deformer on the tongue? You could animate the From or To setting to extend the tongue out of the mouth, and animate one or more spline points to get the vertical flicking.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 17, 2018 at 12:43:57 am

Keep in mind too a snake's tongue is crazy fast. Most of it is going to be a blur. You could get the animation right and then compress the key frames in the time line so that it lasts only a fraction of a second. Make sure to use Physical renderer for a really good motion blur or render out with a motion blur channel that you can apply in post with a motion blur effect that will accept a motion blur channel.

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 22, 2018 at 9:02:09 pm

Thank you both! I tried the spline wrap but ended up using bend with the strength connected to sound through expresso to get it to be really fast. I will try adding the motion blur channel like you suggested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]