MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Another voronoi fracture issue - fragments not ending in chunks

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tarn Mount
Another voronoi fracture issue - fragments not ending in chunks
on Jul 6, 2018 at 9:33:34 am

Hi guys,
I've now got my model in a voronoi and it's working. However, the fragments aren't ending as chunks but still large sections are ending as hull-like fragments. I have "optimise and close holes" ticked and I have attached the file.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Another voronoi fracture issue - fragments not ending in chunks
on Jul 7, 2018 at 1:29:22 am

you've got all the text penetrating into the base object most of the text either penetrates itself or it's neighboring text (overlaps) by a bit and you're telling it to close holes. It may be one object but it's made of 10 pieces in the one object and all embedded into the base and others to some degree (try selecting a point or poly and doing a Select Connected). Optimize and Close Holes is going to have a hard time getting it right in those conditions and I can't see why it would be necessary, there are no holes in your objects (that I can see on a quick look) you just have 10 objects (pieces) where there should be one.
How you want it to break should determine what the construction should be it should be. Do you want it as one object or should the text be separate? Given it's chocolate I would think all one object but with the different colors in the render it would depend on how the 'chocolate' was made.

And what about the nuts? In the example file the nut cloners are all deactivated but assuming you want nuts there too...
- why not only one cloner, just increase the count and keep the nuts from occupying the same space with a Push Apart effector, the Random effector isn't necessary, I think, as the Surface distribution of the cloner is already random. The problem right now is since the letters are still whole objects the nuts are covering all the hidden areas of the letters too so you are loosing many of the nuts inside the chocolate. That would be fixed if it really was one object.

I just tried to turn this all into one object (minus the nuts) and it wasn't successful even when I took all the letters of each word and Unioned them then all those and unioned with the the base. I suspect it's because the words have overlaps in the corners of the bevels - and more testing, that seems to be true. Back in the original version try re-filleting the caps but use Constrained so the tight corners in the text can't fillet 'over itself'. That gives limits to the amount of fillet you can have but it's a lot cleaner construction with script fonts like that.

Return to posts index

Tarn Mount
on Jul 7, 2018 at 5:00:19 am

Great advice, Brian. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

It would be great if there was a way to automatically delete all polygons that are hidden within an object once all objects have been connected. There might be a way but, being a noob, i have no idea other than manually deleting them individually.

I do intend to switch on the nuts and fuse them to the surfaces they're currently adhering to. But I switched them off for the time being as it really slows down the voronoi fracture. They would be impossible to delete the unseen polygons without some auto-function!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 7, 2018 at 3:48:03 pm

use the Boole object to delete parts that are in other parts, if you are not familiar with it try it out with some simple objects like a cube and a sphere to figure out what it does on all the settings

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]