MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D soft body doesn't interact with surroundings

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clemence Plagnard
C4D soft body doesn't interact with surroundings
on Jun 22, 2018 at 3:35:47 pm

Hello Everyone !

I’m relatively new to C4D and I’m having issues with the soft body tag.
I am trying to simulate melted glass being poured into a brass mold (so I have a soft object and a rigid object) to study the emprunt its going to produce on the glass. (I want to reproduce something like this tutorial but with other material properties and shapes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX_f3ue3wZg)
But impossible to have to soft body deform next to my mold. The collision tool is giving some results, but not satisfying…

Can anyone have a look at my file and tell me what I am doing wrong ? Or lead me to another solution ?

Thank you !

12472_simulationcolitionmouleverre.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: C4D soft body doesn't interact with surroundings
on Jun 22, 2018 at 7:38:58 pm

Still playing with it but doesn't the sphere have to be made editable so the collider as some polys to play with?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 22, 2018 at 7:48:57 pm

You might also want to connect all your sub objects of your collider object - less to calculate.
But the biggest issue might be the scale. I started from scratch, used a soft body and collider tags on the sphere and mold respectively, backed the sphere away from the collider and before I had even moved it toward the collider the sphere was already splaying out. There's a reason C4D creates spheres with a default 200 units - its the sweet spot for all these kinds of simulation calculations to work with their default settings.
Can you try this scaled up? Other wise you are going to have to get into changing friction levels and frames and collision noise, which of course you can, but if you are new to C4d then letting the defaults do their thing might be easier.
I'm also not sure what you are after - the description about pouring glass into a mold doesn't match the C4D set up (at least in my brain). Can you describe the action you are expecting?

Return to posts index

Clemence Plagnard
on Jun 22, 2018 at 8:02:20 pm

It would make sense that the sphere can be edited, I'll try that.
I'm working on some textured surfaces that are going to be made of brass or bronze and be used as molds for glasses.
So to have an idea of the result and be able to adjust the surfaces, I'm trying to simulate them in c4d, but I never used the soft body/collider before (I mainly used it for rendering and to integrate things in after effect...).
So far I'm having better luck with the collision, but I struggle with have the sphere reproduce the behavior of glass...
I join my other file for you to see.
Thank you !
12473_test2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Clemence Plagnard
on Jun 22, 2018 at 8:04:10 pm

I'm going to try scalling up... see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 22, 2018 at 8:19:56 pm

You might have to increase the subdivisions of the sphere to conform to all those little extrusions on the mold element. The higher the subdivisions, the more liquidy the glass sphere will be, the lower, the more like magma-like it will be.

Return to posts index

Clemence Plagnard
on Jun 22, 2018 at 8:29:09 pm

And how would I do that ? does it mean increasing the segments? Because it's really slowing my computer...
Any luck on the soft bodies ?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 22, 2018 at 10:10:55 pm

FWIW, you can also change the scale that the physics engine uses in Project Settings>Dynamics>Expert.

Return to posts index

Clemence Plagnard
on Jun 22, 2018 at 10:12:00 pm

Thank you Adam!
Any idea on how to make this all thing work ?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 23, 2018 at 3:34:14 pm

To be honest with you, I don't think soft bodies are going to work for this. Best option would be a liquid simulator like RealFlow or X-Particles, but if you don't have either of those I would try Cinema's particles with Metaballs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]