MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

assign group of textures to group of objects?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lauren lundholm
assign group of textures to group of objects?
on Jun 19, 2018 at 4:56:18 pm

Hi hello help! I'm working on a visualisation in C4D similar to this cluster / cloner effect [

I have about 2000 objects in the cluster made up of cones, spheres and cubes, and want each individual object to have a different texture (I have a folder of specific images, one image for every object).

I loaded the first 250 textures 'by hand' by creating a new material and loading an image to each - because I couldn't find a way of importing the entire folder of images? If there's a way to create a folder / library of textures from my existing images and upload them all at once - that would be GREAT.

Secondly, now I have made a layer with my first 250 textures, I want to apply these to only the cones. I have all the cones in one layer / one group but when I drag the textures to the cone group, it assigns ALL of the textures to ALL of the cones. Is there a way to apply one material to each cone? It doesn't matter which cone receives which texture, so assigning one 'random' material from my texture group / folder to each object would also work for me.

I think this tutorial achieves what I need - but I don't speak Russian. [

I'm also a beginner with c4d and coding - so the simpler solution the better! Any help asap would be amazing

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: assign group of textures to group of objects?
on Jun 20, 2018 at 3:51:55 pm

You shouldn't need to go to python for this. I haven't see the demo video's (I'll watch later on if this doesn't help), but I'm pretty sure there is a section in the "my motion graphics" video that shows the use of the mograph shader. This allows you to have a folder of images or other textures to be populated onto many objects.
You can also use the shader effector to map different effects to different objects, either based on a noise pattern, a fall off or the object's initial color (or other attributes - which can be set by a shader effector itself). The process is very iterative - one effector influences another effector and on down the line.
And remember, you can clone a cloner.
You can also put a material on one type of object - cones for instance, then put that cone in a cloner along with other objects with their own material, and as long as the cloner doesn't have a shader, the cones will have their own "look".

Return to posts index

lauren lundholm
on Jun 20, 2018 at 5:56:18 pm

Thanks Steve!! I I've found what I need, and indeed the mograph multishader does balance distribution of each texture to my objects as explained. My only problem is uploading a whole folder of jpeg images now - I can add in each shader by hand but will take a long time - I clicked 'add from folder' which opened up to my mac finder but all the images I needed (jpeg) were faded and unable to be selected. Is this because of the file type? Should I convert them to something else?

Thanks - L

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 20, 2018 at 7:13:46 pm

Thats the multi shader right? I'm on a PC so I don't get to open the folder and see whats in it within the multishader dialogue, but jpgs work for me. I do remember having this issue previously though. What version of C4D are you running? Try tiffs - thats the default C4D format (at least it used to be).

Return to posts index

lauren lundholm
on Jun 20, 2018 at 7:26:25 pm

Yes the multishader, I'm on a mac version R19. I've double checked I have all the content browser packs enabled, and tiffs are not working either ☹ Is there anything else you can suggest? Or I just manually load in the textures as layers... if this is the case though I'll be running out of time soon!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 20, 2018 at 7:30:10 pm

try just selecting the folder itself. I think you cant see the icons because it wants a folder, not a set of files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]