MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Video Wrapping Material Issue

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Guiliani
Video Wrapping Material Issue
on Jun 12, 2018 at 7:47:34 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have whats probably a dumb question/simple solution but I just can't figure it out. I am placing images and videos on the extruded surfaces of text and animating the offset for a "news ticker" effect. Basically the videos will have to move along the entire extruded surface. For now though, I'm just using the attached as an example which is only a part of a letter.

The problem I am running into is the material reaches another point in the geometry, it stretches way out and doesn't stay in proportion. Any idea whats going on? I'm using flat projection and the texture tool to align and scale everything and when I animate or adjust the offset property, the minute it hits the edge it stretches way out over the next shape instead of staying in proportion. I've seemingly tried everything!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Video Wrapping Material Issue
on Jun 12, 2018 at 8:53:06 pm

I'm afraid the solution isn't so easy. You're getting smearing with flat projection because ... the texture is literally being projected along a flat plane that has nothing to do with the actual shape of your object. It's as if you were shining a movie projector at your object.

To get the image to move along the surface without distortion you will need to use UVW mapping, and that will entail some rather meticulous editing of your object's UVW coordinates to essentially flatten the UV space while minimizing distortion as much as possible, as well as aligning the UVseams so the texture flows the way you want it to.

Depending on how complex your object shapes are you may be able to get away with something less technical, such as using two textures with different flap mapping projections.

Return to posts index

Eric Guiliani
on Jun 12, 2018 at 8:57:30 pm

Oh thats a bummer. Any idea what to search for on how to do the UV thing? Its just the sides or extruded parts of text, so not too complex. I'm clueless with UV.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 12, 2018 at 9:41:00 pm

the other choice is to re-make the geometry flat, attach the texture, then bend it to the shape you need after. It depends on how complex that curve I think I see there is whether that's easier than massaging the UV's later

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:10:57 pm

Re Brian's suggestion - you will have to include a stick texture tag and "record" the position of the texture before you bend the geometry, otherwise the geometry will move within the field of the texture space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]