MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How did they create this material?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Moreau
How did they create this material?
on Jun 3, 2018 at 1:12:32 am

I was watching the remastered version of Star Trek (TOS) the other day and noticed how the classic enterprise doesn't really have visible hull panels. This was because Roddenberry felt that in the future everything would look nice and "slick". Clean lines, all of the fiddly bits hidden inside. So that begs the question about the hull material used on the CGI version in the remasters. I've tried to get a similar look before just by doing a grey material with a bit of noise and similar but it never looks even close to as good as it does on the old Enterprise.

So how would you go about creating this material? Please forgive me for asking, but texturing and materials is really my weak area. I know modelling a lot better than I do texturing, especially playing around with the stuff in the material editor as opposed to just slapping on a texture bitmap.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How did they create this material?
on Jun 5, 2018 at 7:16:08 am

I think it needs a few noises of different scales. And then (you can see the long streak of the spec highlight) use an anisotropic specular highlight. Widen it out and soften it.
There is also some reflection there but its really really subtle and softened.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]