MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Delaying time of Rigid Body?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kale collins
Delaying time of Rigid Body?
on Jun 1, 2018 at 2:57:38 am

Hello! first post here, and just only beginning to understand the wonders of C4D... In my file currently I have a pair of earrings with a Rigid Body tag and a Collider tag for RealFlow (plug-in) so when the Earrings collide into the water a Crown splash would be the result.

I would like to delay the initial start time of when the Earrings fall because I want to make them spin around firstly.

I know this is possible somehow with the Dynamics Tag- I'm still learning but if anyone could give me some pointers that'd be greatly appreciated! ^_^
Thanks much!
-Kale

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Delaying time of Rigid Body?
on Jun 1, 2018 at 6:47:49 am
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jun 1, 2018 at 6:50:54 am

Hi Kale,

You could keyframe either the Dynamic setting or the Enabled setting of the tag. At the point in time when you'd like the earrings to fall either leave the tag Enabled (checked) and keyframe Dynamic (with Trigger set to the default of "Immediately") from "Off" to "On" from one frame to the next , or leave Dynamic "On" and keyframe Enabled from unchecked to checked.

Though either method will work for simple animations, I would suggest leaving the tag enabled and keyframing Dynamic. That way the object will still respond to collisions if necessary. See the help section for "Dynamics Body Tag: Dynamics " for a discussion of those settings, as well as the Transition Time setting which can be useful in some scenarios.

Return to posts index

kale collins
on Jun 4, 2018 at 2:14:21 am

Dynamics worked great, thank you! Was just puzzled when to press the circle and when to not, but I figured it out- the first circle just is the deciding factor of whether you want it to begin immediately (on/off) and what time it would start, I turned it off on keyframe on 70
and Turned on at 80.
But now I face this issue:
When I try rendering All Frames, the realflow fluid/simulation isn't rendering. Is this normal or am I missing something? (Imagine just a body of water below two objects)

~{^-^}~

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jun 4, 2018 at 3:12:20 am

Hi Kale,

I'm glad you got the dynamics figured out, but just for clarification: by placing the first keyframe for dynamics (off) at frame 70, that dictated that dynamics was off from the beginning. You didn't actually "turn it off on keyframe 70," as you wrote. It's just that without any previous keyframes, any keyframe will essentially set its value as the default. I think you understand, but I just wanted to make sure.

Without seeing your project, I would guess that you haven't added a Mesher to your scene, so there is nothing to render. Without a Mesher object the scene only runs a fluid simulation.

Return to posts index

kale collins
on Jun 4, 2018 at 2:39:44 pm

Ahh.. I do have a Mesher and thats why I'm stressed as to why it isn't rendering. In fact nothing is there when rendered, it is just a black empty space, which is strange because I have the scene sitting in one cube that overlaps another which is used as a border. And all of this is within a diorama space that has purple flames.
I've tried caching the scene simulation. And am currently attempting to cache the mesh. Hopefully this will work... if not what could it be?
Maybe I should try use another renderer.. I've heard RedShift works well. Because at the moment I'm only using the default render in C4D.

~{^-^}~

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jun 4, 2018 at 3:07:47 pm

Could you post your project file? I don't use the Realflow plugin that much, but I would be glad to take a look at it. And just to get more input, start a new thread so that others are more likely to see it.

Return to posts index

kale collins
on Jun 5, 2018 at 2:13:56 am

Can I somehow email you or send the .zip privately? It is a personal work I don't yet wish for all to see.
Cheers :)

~{^-^}~

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jun 5, 2018 at 2:12:37 pm

I understand. I don't know of any way to privately post an email address, and I wouldn't want either one of us to publicly post ours. Could you make a simplified project that just shows the problem with Realflow? Perhaps you could copy just the Realflow set-up into another project and post that.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 5, 2018 at 8:29:17 pm

We've had the mesh get "lost" in C4d (similar to how in the past you couldn't replace a image with one of the same name; C4d just wouldn't refresh.
So often we'll move the mesh files and then re point C4D to the RF files.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:43:36 am
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jun 6, 2018 at 2:44:42 pm

Steve,

Are you referring to Realflow, or the Realflow│C4D plugin? If the plugin, where would those mesh files be? I only use it occasionally and am only familiar with the cache files.

Edit: Never mind. I was confusing myself thinking the mesh cache was something different.

Return to posts index

kale collins
on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:28:49 pm

If either of you would be willing to check out my newest thread.. "RealFlow:..." I have attached my file. Thanks so much!

~{^-^}~

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 6, 2018 at 4:14:19 pm

Ah I see, its an approach difference. (at least it appears to be). When we use real flow we make a batch of .bin files
in RF (basically OBJ meshes for every frame). These remain outside C4D (keeping the file size down) and we use the plug in that comes with RF to load them into c4D. This lets us change out the mesh after the fact without upsetting the project.

In your case (I think) you are loading the fluids right into C4d (which is fine). But here's what i'm wondering. Because the meshes from RF aren't actually moving in time - each frame is a snap shot of where the particles were in RF - I don't think they are going to react properly to the dynamics engine. That engine is looking around for things your earrings need to collide with and suddenly, on the next frame, out of now where, the earrings are suddenly touching or embedded inside a blob of liquid. The engine will say "where the heck did that come from?" The mesh from the previous frame wasn't approaching the earnings and wasn't in danger (on that previous frame) of running into the earrings so the engine would have been oblivious to it.

So I'm not sure the dynamics approach is going to work.

What you could do is make a blobby object that approximates the fluid movement and you hand animate it to be a collision proxy (or as we call them around here - stunt objects) or make a particle/mograph system inside C4D that travels like the one from RF does, but it doesn't need to be high a resolution and it wont be used in the render. This particle system is used as a proxy to trigger the crown splash when the earnings intersect the particle stream.

Return to posts index

kale collins
on Jun 7, 2018 at 1:58:14 am

I'm unfamiliar with the how-to's of Mograph as well as "stunt" objects- I'm familiar with building a "cage", is this the same? :/ I doubt it since you lost me at hand animate. Regardless I did build a cage and apply the same tags on my earrings over to this cube fit to envelope around the earrings, set to x-ray mode. (removing the RF Collider body tag from both earrings, keeping rigid body) I rendered the animation once and no crown splash result but now I am trying again ..except this time I made the cage editable? Doubt that will work.
However I'm very curious about this mograph system and matching it to real flow. Yet I have not a clue how to begin doing so.
Any suggestions?

~{^-^}~

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jun 6, 2018 at 6:33:26 pm

I'm looking at it now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]