MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D hair emitting light

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Moore
C4D hair emitting light
on May 27, 2018 at 5:43:36 am

Is it possible for the hair simulator IN C4D to emit light? I’d like to have a hair covered character moving in a very dark space with the hairs glowing as if they were mini fluorescent tubes.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: C4D hair emitting light
on May 27, 2018 at 6:00:10 pm

I don't use hair much, but with some experimentation I found the following solution. Perhaps someone with more experience has a better approach, but this is what I came up with.

The basic hair material does not include luminance or glow channels, so to get a neon look for hair select one of the polygon modes in the Generate menu (circle for example) which will then allow you to add a normal material to the hair object. Add luminance (and glow if desired) to that material, and control the hair properties (thickness, frizz, curl, etc.) in the hair material. In my example below I added a light with its intensity at 0% in order to disable the default light and thus eliminate all light from the scene. Using a polygon mode in the Generate menu generates hair as polygons, so it will increase render times and memory requirements substantially (see Hair Limitations in the help menu). Depending upon your project, and your hardware, this may or may not be a suitable solution.

12420_neonhairexample.c4d.zip

In this example project I set the Generate > Type to "None" in order to reduce the project file's size for upload. When you open it, set the Generate > Type to "Circle" for each of the hair objects.

Return to posts index

Stephen Moore
on May 28, 2018 at 5:49:22 am

Hi Jim,

That's just brilliant. Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I've just had a look at your file and transfered your settings to mine and it works like a dream. It will, as you obviously realise, increase the render time but it is a solution! Later on in the summer I'm planning to get some souped-up kit, which will make lengthy animations of this sort far more practical. Assuming I get that far, I'll send you the result.

Stephen

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 28, 2018 at 2:57:35 pm

I'm glad it worked for you, and thanks for letting me know that it did.

Good luck with your project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]