Illustrator to c4d size issues

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seb Harder
Illustrator to c4d size issues
on May 17, 2018 at 5:24:32 pm
Last Edited By Seb Harder on May 17, 2018 at 5:43:26 pm

This is making me upset.

I need the sizes to be exact for 3d printing. I have my shape ready in illustrator. Units are inches. I save it as Illustrator 8.
In c4d my pref>units is set to inches. My edit> project settings> project scale is set to inches.
I file>merge to illustrator file and it is way too big.

All I want to do is get my spline from illustrator to c4d and keep the sizing.

I've tried changing my units in both illustrator and c4d, no luck.

Why is this difficult??????

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Illustrator to c4d size issues
on May 17, 2018 at 6:45:30 pm

Illustrator is a vector program and all its "sizes" (apart from being arbitrary and not really related to anything) are based on the printing paradigm of dots per inch.
3D is also arbitrary - you can change the scale in a way where the object isn't any bigger really, but in fact it is.
Neither package has a system like photoshop where a pixel is a pixel and that's gospel. (so many errors have been propagated in both AI and Pshop with the use of inches - the next question should always be "at what DPI? - there is no question required with pixels - at least these days).
The only way to ensure accuracy in 3D printing is in the 3D package. AI and C4D don't share a measurement system. You can set one up but it means finding out how big something is when it comes in to C4D and then changing your art board and resolution in AI to compensate. At a different DPI in AI you can have your rulers be accurate to final outline size in C4d.
Also we've found that outputting in inches in C4d can cause issues at 3rd party service bureaus for 3D printing. Most want mm - even in the USA. You can end up with a spinal tap object.
But with that said, when we create a 15mm cube in C4d it prints at 15mm +/- .01mm, so C4D is on board with 3D printing scales.

One other note - if you extrude those outlines in C4d and then chamfer or round the caps, you must use the constrain button in the extrude parameters to make sure the outline doesn't expand to compensate for the chamfer.

Return to posts index

Seb Harder
on May 17, 2018 at 6:53:30 pm

Sorry to say that's not very helpful. I understand that both 3d files and vector files don't use pixels.

I need to print an image created in illustrator and print a shape for that printed image to fit on to. It's not good enough to eyeball it, I need the 3d print to match. Changing my units in both program to mm had no effect. Question is how do I get my vector file, which has dimensions assigned in illustrator for printing, into c4d with the same dimensions?

Return to posts index

Seb Harder
on May 17, 2018 at 7:00:31 pm

I may have figured it out and the solution is kinda dumb.

So my print file is 5 inches wide in illustrator (I'm using inches because the job requires that size)

I change my illustrator document setup to points. It is now 360 points wide.

I merge my illustrator file into c4d and in the illustrator scale dialogue I do this math 5/360 =.0138

so the scale is .0138 inches

Maybe I'm dumb and there's an easier way which allows me to use inches in my print file. My 3d printed does use mm so I will have to convert again. I wish this was easier.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 17, 2018 at 7:09:28 pm

Changing to points (or to mm for that matter) doesn't change the size of the thing, it just changes the numbers. 1"=2.54mm=72 points.
You've got the scaling factor I mentioned. Keep changing the scale factor on import to C4D until the size of the object it brings in is the same as the illustrator file. Then always use that scaling factor.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 17, 2018 at 7:15:32 pm

And then when outputting to an STl for your service bureau, set the scale to 100 and the units to mm. This won't change the size but will give the printer the units it's expecting.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 17, 2018 at 7:18:03 pm

Thinking about a better pipeline for you - you can now 3D print from Pshop. Perhaps there is a better scale for scale system set up between the two apps.
I would have them rolling in the aisles in the Pshop or AE forums with this suggestion. We've been waiting for some Pshop features in AE for about 30 years now. But its worth a look.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 17, 2018 at 7:49:43 pm

make a rectangle in AI that's exactly 1 inch then import to C4D. When I do that it imports as 72 inches. So if I put 1/72 in for the scale as I import the AI it gives exactly 1 inch in C4D

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 17, 2018 at 9:15:02 pm

Oh I hate coincidences like that - 72 points to the inch and the difference is 1/72 between the two programs.

I get 72.223 when I do the same. I thought the dpi (or PPI) settings in AI might affect the output but they don't appear to. I can't however find a reason for the small discrepancy. It seems but a small difference but that error is equivalent to 5mm - a gaping chasm in 3D printing land.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 17, 2018 at 10:50:45 pm

I got a slight bit off 72 when I did that the first time but apparently Illustrators interface is a bit sloppy, when I dragged it out to what said 1.0 that is what I got. When I went back later to check, the x and y size in the upper right corner showed 1.0-something and when I set those to 1.0 exactly that's when I got 72. Be interesting to know if that's dependent on some AI setting or if it's simply C4D using points by default.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]