MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Smoke, inside fog?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Vining
Smoke, inside fog?
on May 16, 2018 at 4:53:29 pm

Trying to show simple non-animating chimney smoke rising over a foggy city. It's a wide shot, so I tried first a smoke image with an alpha on a plane, but the alpha shows as a dark translucent box, and from what I have read, this still seems to be a known problem for over a decade with alphas & fog. I know about using a giant visible light to simulate the fog instead, but wondered if anybody had any other suggestions?

(For a bonus, can anybody explain why a visible light can play well with alphas, but fog can't, when this has been a known issue for years?)

Thanks--Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Smoke, inside fog?
on May 16, 2018 at 8:23:43 pm

Have you tried putting your "alpha" for the smoke in the transparency channel of the texture? (usually you have to invert it though - white is "clear" in the trani channel.)

Return to posts index

Tim Vining
on May 17, 2018 at 9:09:56 am

Yes, thanks, I did try that and it looked the same. How apparent the alpha/trans looks seems to depend somewhat on what is behind it. The landscape above the wall is dark, so the alpha seems to be very dark.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 17, 2018 at 3:24:01 pm

I had this problem a while ago and did solve it. I'll try and dig up the file. But in the mean time, I remember fiddling with the matte object check box in the compositing tag or including a background plane that the camera couldn't see (or both)

Return to posts index

Tim Vining
on May 18, 2018 at 1:27:07 pm

Okay, thanks! I looked into the compositing tag and didn't find a solution, but I'll take your suggesting to look into it some more. A solution for this would be great--I'm embarking on an animated fantasy project, and that means lots of fog, mist & smoke!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]