MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Simple rig not working, can't find the problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin de Deugd
Simple rig not working, can't find the problem
on May 2, 2018 at 6:32:44 pm

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty new to Cinema 4D, and just started rigging my very first character (after importing it from Magica Voxel).

I wanted to animate this character, so I used the Character Object feature to rig my character. Problem is, I can only animate everything below the the characters hips. Everything above that is unmovable, unturnable etc.

I was hoping someone could take a quick look and tell me what's wrong. That would be great!

The .c4d file can be downloaded here. I included the original .obj file and texture if needed. It's a very simple rig so I hope it can be fixed!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Simple rig not working, can't find the problem
on May 3, 2018 at 3:16:24 am

To be fair I've never used the auto rig before. And I may just be glad of that now.
It looks like the weights are screwed up. I'm not sure if that's because the model doesn't have enough polys to bend as you would expect and the auto weighting doesn't speak minecraft, or because of the settings you used during the rigging.

See image. I selected the left shoulder in the weights manager. The weighting is only set for the front faces of some of the geometry. If you move the controllers, the vertexes weighted properly do move (you have to "update" in the animation tab of the bone in question), but it becomes a mess pretty quickly. Some of the hand polys have no weighting assigned whatsoever so that may feel like nothing is happening if you just played with the hands first.
The weights on the legs look correct enough to animate though. So that's why you are getting success below the belt (there's a joke in there somewhere)

Return to posts index

Colin de Deugd
on May 3, 2018 at 8:29:52 am

Thanks, I'll try to make a rig without the Auto feature, hopefully that will get rid of the problem!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 3, 2018 at 7:22:52 pm

Either way you will have to paint the wieghts it seems. I just thought the auto rig would do a better job of it. You can keep the rig you have and just manually paint the weights from where you are now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]